Problem: a single user profile would not appear in the user profile store (Central admin >> Application Management >> Manage Service Applications >> user profile service>>Manage User Profiles). The user did exist in Active Directory.
- Ran an incremental sync
- Ran a full sync
- Looked at ULS logs and found this error:
“System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadData(Uri address)
at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ManagementAgent.ProfileImportExportExtension.DownloadPictures(ProfileChangeData profiles, Boolean delayErrors)
at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ManagementAgent.ProfileImportExportExtension.Microsoft.MetadirectoryServices.IMAExtensibleFileImport.GenerateImportFile(String fileName, String connectTo, String user, String password, ConfigParameterCollection configParameters, Boolean fFullImport, TypeDescriptionCollection types, String& customData)
Forefront Identity Manager
Cause: Customer is on October 2012 CU, this is fixed in December 2012 CU. It happens because some users added a picture to their profile and then removed it at some point.
Resolution: Upgrade to a higher patch or, until you can plan and test the patch properly, you can perform the workaround below:
- Run the following SQL Query against the profile database to identify user accounts that may be missing and not coming over via your syncs:
SELECT el.RecordId,el.ChangeType,el.ChangedPropertyId, el.EventTime,el.OldValue,el.NewValueData,upf.RecordID,upf.NTName,upf.PictureUrl,upf.PreferredName
FROM UserProfileEventLog as el
JOIN Userprofile_full as upf
where ChangedPropertyId =23 and eventtime > ‘2013-03-13’ and ChangeType = 4
- Modify eventtime to reflect the previous day or longer as appropriate
- ChangeType 4 reflects that the operation on the property was a delete. ChangedPropertyId =23 is the profile picture property
- The list of users generated from the above query will then need to have their photo updated via central administration. You can then update the photo for the user with the default gif, person.gif.
Fight Comparison: Had to call for help on this one, so more like a professional wrestling tag team match