Adding hardware in Windows 7 is a little different than it use to be in previous versions of Windows. I recently needed to install a loopback adapter on my main laptop (I have 3 machines running Windows 7), and stumbled for a second before getting to what I needed. So, here’s a short guide on how to install hardware (specifically a loopback adapter) on Windows 7.
- Click Start, and Search for Programs and Files. Do a search for “hdwwiz.exe”
- In the Programs search results, right-click on hdwwiz and select Run as administrator.
- You’ll then have the familiar wizard for Add Hardware.
- On the first screen of the wizard, select Advanced and click Next.
- For hardware category, select Network Adapters and click Next.
- On the Select Network Adapter screen, select Microsoft for the Manufacturer and Microsoft Loopback Adapter for the Network Adapter. Click Next.
- Confirm your selections, and viola!