Too often I hear SharePoint referenced in conversation, and think to myself "What SharePoint are they referring to?". What specific product could someone be referencing when they say SharePoint? SharePoint has had more name changes and name associations than Sean Combs (P Diddy) and Rogers Nelson (Prince) combined. With additional functionality and the better the product becomes, the more the name changes. And now I just feel compelled to comment on the many faces and versions of this product we love to call in general by the name of: SharePoint.
- SharePoint Portal Server 2001, SPS, SPS 2001
- SharePoint Team Services, STS
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003, SPS 2003
- Windows SharePoint Services 2.0, WSS, WSS 2.0
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007, MOSS, MOSS 2007
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, WSS, WSS 3.0
I just hope that the next version will retain the name, with only an update to the year or version number. I don't think my brain can store any additional acronyms in this concise age we live in. If you would like to see a "Family Tree" of SharePoint, check out Sharon's visual history of the product: http://www.joiningdots.net/downloads/SharePoint_History.jpg (great stuff!)