Ever forget the syntax for a connection string, or do you just need to test a connection to a db? Use a UDL for that forgetful memory.
- On your desktop, right-click and select new text document. Rename it to something.udl.
- Double click the new UDL file on your desktop.
- Choose your Provider, and Connection (be sure to check the box ‘allow saving password’)
- Click the ‘Test Connection’ button to make sure it’s correct. Now hit the ‘Ok’ button
- Now right-click on your UDL and select Open With > Notepad.
- There’s your connection string that you can copy
Why does it work? Because a universal data link (.udl) file is really just a text file that contains the connection string for an OLE DB data source
- Dan Lewis