For those of you who want or need to manually update the anti-virus definitions in Microsoft Forefront Protection for Exchange Server or Microsoft Forefront Protection for SharePoint, there is a great powershell script out there!
You can go into the script & set the folder location where you want to put the DL'd defs, what defs you want & for what platforms you want them for.
Basically, I saved the script to my desktop & did a 1 time edit.
Also, you need to do a 1 time edit in ForeFront on the server(s) to point it to a folder you are planning to store the updates from now on (create a new one wherever you want & share it).
- So now I just right-click & 'Run with Powershell'.
- The script kicks off and downloads all of the files to the spot I want. Usually take about 20 mins while it creates the folder tree & grabs files.
- After the PowerShell window closes, I burn that folder that has the amd64, metadata, temp & x86 files in it to a DVD (usually bout 1.5gb in size).
- Then on the ForeFront server, I copy/paste those files to the AV folder from above.
- ForeFront will either pick them up on the next scheduled update you previously set or you can force a definition update via the FF console.
How to manually update scan engines in Microsoft Forefront Protection for Exchange Server or Microsoft Forefront Protection for SharePoint