Sorry for the delays between postings lately, working on Beta 3 has been keeping us all busy. Today I’m going to talk briefly about some of the changes and additions we have made to the Server Core installation option for Beta 3. For those of you with access to the recently released build, you’ll see these things in the build. (Note a few of these were in the IDS builds leading up to Beta 3 and covered in my January 5th posting. However, for completeness I’m including everything here.)
- Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS, formerly ADAM)
- Print Server
- Media Services
New Optional features
- QoS (Qwave)
Command line changes
- We have removed a few options from scregedit.wsf since there are better command line solutions. For example, enabling Windows Error Reporting now has a command line tool serverweroptin.exe
- Scregedit.wsf now has a /cli switch which dumps out a long list of various command line ways to do things, such as setting your pagefile. Most of these have been covered in my blog, but now they are available on the box.
- Oclist.exe is included, which will list all the packages to use with ocsetup.exe to add/remove a role or feature. This also tells you if something is installed or not.
- Notepad File|Open, Save, and Save As now work (anyone recognize those dialog boxes?)
- Regedit.exe is now included
Let me know what you think once you get the bits and have a chance to give it a try.
I’m going to predict right now that my next posting will not, unfortunately, be until some time in early May.