The benefits of virtualization are more evident than ever. Microsoft Hyper-V™ technology allows consolidation of workloads that are currently spread across multiple underutilized servers onto a smaller number of servers. This capability provides you with a way to reduce costs through lower hardware, energy, and management overhead while creating a more dynamic IT infrastructure.
The Hyper-V Security Guide can help you elevate the security of virtualized Windows Server® environments to meet your business-critical needs. This Solution Accelerator provides IT professionals like you with guidance, instructions, and recommendations to address your key security concerns around server virtualization in the following areas:
· Hardening Hyper-V. The guide provides prescriptive guidance for hardening the Hyper-V server role, including several best practices for installing and configuring Hyper-V with a focus on security. These best practices include measures for reducing the attack surface of Hyper-V as well as recommendations for properly configuring secure virtual networks and storage devices on a Hyper-V host server.
· Delegating virtual machine management. The ability to safely and securely delegate administrative access to virtual machine resources within organizations is essential. The guide highlights several available methods to administer different aspects of a virtual machine infrastructure and ways to control administrative access to different servers and at different levels.
· Protecting virtual machines. The guide also provides prescriptive guidance for securing virtual machine resources, including best practices and detailed steps for protecting virtual machines by using a combination of file system permissions, encryption, and auditing.
The Beta release is available now for your review through March 4th, 2009. By participating in this Beta Program, you can provide timely feedback about the guidance to our team to help us ensure that it meets your needs when it is released.
· Download the Beta by visiting the Security Solution Accelerators Connect Site (Windows Live™ ID login and registration required) and joining Project Codename Teton.
· Once you have registered, that link won't work; please bookmark this link to the project site to get the latest project information.