Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer

Just a quick solution in case you ever get the following message when trying to open a SharePoint Document Library in explorer view from Windows Server 2008

Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer.

image

This is due to the fact that Explorer view uses the WebDav protocol to connect to SharePoint from the client.  As Windows Server is not designed to be a client, the WebDav client is not installed or enabled by default.

In order to enable the WebDav client (along with other client features such as Windows Media Player and Desktop Themes) on a server (you’re not doing this on a production server, right?), simply enable the Desktop Experience feature.

(thanks to Troy on the SharePoint team for this tip!)

Update: This can also happen if you are using Internet Explorer 6 and the URL to the Document Library is longer than 100 characters (covered in KB 923906), but you’re not using IE 6 are you? It’s time to upgrade! http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx

1. Craig.B says:

User could open and close document library once and then would receive the error when attempting to open the second time. Restarting the WebClient Service allows the user to open a second time.

2. Although this works, there is no reason to thank an individual such as Troy.

3. Umar1 says:

May be this is the right solution for some folks but I have seen in many farms , web dev always create issues most common issue is , sharepoint will not talk to office client . So every time you will try to save some doc you will not be able to see your doc library in save in dialouge box . So activation esktop exp is required but not installing web dev . This isue was solved after changing sec settings in IE8 in my server farm  .no web dev .

4. Cauline says:

I've been trying to solve this problem for many hours, over several days.  I get the "Your client does not support…" message, or nothing at all when I try to open a document library in Explorer View on SharePoint Foundation 2010.  On Server 2008 R2, I get the "your client…" message.  On Windows 7 with ie8 32-bit, I get nothing.  With ie8 64-bit, I get the "your client" message.  I downloaded ie9 beta – I get the message with that too.

The Desktop Experience is installed.  WebClient is automatic and running.

5. Illinger says:

Not the first time this post has come up on my searches for this problem, targeting Win7 clients and SharePoint 2007, where it is happening to me.  (Although the server itself is Win2008, just not what I'm searching on.)

Has anyone out there got an answer to this?

I don't count constantly restarting the Web Client service as a solution, it doesn't even work well enough to be considered a workaround.

6. ChrisA says:

I also have this issue.

Sharepoint foundation 2010 with desktop experiance enabled

Windows 7 client with Web Client service running, automatic

Same error

Webdev does not make any differance.

7. Top5guy says:

I have same issue w/ 64bit Windows 7 client on Sharepoint 3.0 site (2003 server) – 32bit Win 7 clients work fine.  All non-2010 specific changes have been tried and failed to correct.

8. Joshua Burkhow says:

Guys/Gals…

Remember this can also happen if you are using Firefox…(scream …..now!)

Have a great day!

Joshua

9. gocat2005 says:

This worked fine first off.

So I copied a few files from a V3 farm doc lib to a Foundation farm doc lib – great.

5 minutes later tried to copy a few more files but apparently my client has decided it "does not support opening this list with WIndows Explorer". But 5 minutes ago it worked fine.

10. JJ says:

I'm seeing this problem with only some site collections after migrating to sp2010 from moss – some site collections can open Explorer view w/ no problems, at least one site collection gets the error described.  From the same computer (Win7 64 bit), same browser (IE 8 32 bit).  puzzled, and still looking for resolution.

11. Imtiaz says:

On Windows 7, simple start the WebClient Service to get this working!

12. Mesud Branswijck says:

When on windows 7 the webclient service seems to be running, restart it.

13. Balaji Krishnamoorthy says:

This is driving me crazy for the last 10 days…. Its working when i Upgrade to IE9 and then stopped working after some time then if i uninstall 9 its again working…. sometimes restarting webclient works… if office failed to be activited and if i activate it then it works as well…. I have faced enough troubles from the users and they started thinking what the hell this sharepoint 2010 is all about

14. Keith D says:

IE9 and no amount of restarting webclient can help me connect. Seriously Microsoft can we get some troubleshooting guidance here?

15. Jim Eastman says:

Experiencing the same issue here, Windows 7 client, no error with windows XP clients.

16. Alan Cheung says:

Same as all above – on IE9 and restarting WebClient does nothing. Some document libraries can open with explorer but others cannot – inconsistent behaviour!

17. Gene says:

Same exact thing is happening to me… it is crazy.  I started a discussion …

social.technet.microsoft.com/…/b580cfcd-3483-4dee-8952-f5519bd124fe

18. Atef says:

Same exact thing is happening to me. with win server 2008 r2 and sharepoint 2010 , win xp client , ie8. when i update ie8 this is solved.

19. Unhappy SharePointer says:

Same issue here, nothing seems to solve the issue permanently.

20. umang says:

not working on w7 with ie 10, 32 bit, webclient is running, cache is clear, url in trusted zone… but still not working

21. Friggin says:

not working on w7 with ie 9- 32 bit, webclient is running, cache is clear, url in trusted zone… but still not working

nothing has changed on any fixes I have tried

22. Jeff25 says:

It's pretty sad when MS can't even put out a product that talks to their own product correctly.

23. Giovanni says:

hice todos los pasos ya sea opciones de internet , webclient , experiencia de escritorio (server08) IE 8,9 y nada , tengo un error de certificado , puede ser eso el problema ??

24. mike says:

For SharePoint 2013, my problem was that I was trying to "Open with Explorer" something that probably can’t be opened with Explorer. In my case, I just wanted to open my team’s Shared Documents with Explorer. I found that when I first log into SharePoint
    and view the page, I’m presented with those Shared Documents, but also other things as well. To get "Open with Explorer" to work, I must click "Shared Documents" under the Libraries heading on the left. Then, all the other stuff (Links, Getting Starter, etc.)
    go away and I’m focused on my team’s shared documents. From there, I can go up to the Library Tools section in the ribbon, choose the Library tab in the ribbon, and click Open with Explorer.

Works like a champ on Windows 7 64-bit, running IE 9 32-bit.

25. mike says:

Update on the above: I’m using SharePoint 2010 and not always does the above solution seem to work; seems as random as ever.

26. mike says:

Update on the above: Seems logging out of SharePoint and back in alleviates the problem, though I also cleared my cookies and temporary internet files before doing so. I’ll keep running experiments until I figure out what the repeatable solution seems
    to be.

27. mike says:

This is what I hope to be my final update and solution to this problem, at least in my environment. I have to first open a file (any file) from that SharePoint site. Once opened, I can click Open with Explorer and it works consistently.

28. Curt Faulk says:

My experience has shown that these issues are solved by using the 32-bit version of IE, which is of course located here:

C:Program Files (x86)Internet Exploreriexplore.exe

29. joyrider says:

I could resolve the issue by opening the document library with 32-bit internet explorer.