The Windows Vista Client Monitoring Management Pack is built on the Windows Diagnostics Infrastructure in Windows Vista that detects, diagnoses and tries to resolve hardware and software problems. Information and analysis on the issues that the system detected are collected by the MP through an agent on the client and sent to OpsMgr where this data is converted into health state, alerts (if need be) and processed for aggregate reports. The MP monitors the following areas:
- Disk reliability and utilization
- Memory reliability and utilization
- System performance
- Runtime performance
- Bootup performance
- Shutdown performance
- Sleep performance
- Resume performance
And surfaces information in these areas by:
- Raising individual alerts when there are impending catastrophic failures
- Raising trend-based alerts on significant changes to any OEM or computer group in one of the monitored areas
- Health monitors giving an in-depth view of the health of individual machines with knowledge articles to guide the admin.
- Reports giving a landscape view of the health of all monitored clients in all the monitoring areas
The Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 Management Pack provides proactive monitoring of your Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 environment. It includes detection and monitoring of all SMS 2003 servers and dependent services, alert driven state, topology diagram, performance and backlog monitoring and configuration, performance and availability reports.
- Detects all SMS 2003 server computers and site systems.
- Monitors the starting and stopping of all SMS 2003 services, including critical dependent services such as Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), Internet Information Server (IIS), and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Provides alerts for SMS service stops, service failures, performance thresholds, status messages, and site system status.
- Presents the state of all roles and computers in the SMS 2003 environment.
- Provides a topology diagram that displays site, site server and site system relationships along with health status.
- Monitors processing rates.
- Monitors backlogs of discovery data records (DDRs), software inventory, hardware inventory, status messages, and software metering on both primary site servers and management points.
- Monitors core system resource usage.
- Includes tasks that enable users of the Operations Manager Operations Console to diagnose and resolve problems on remote computers through the use of SMS Administrator Console.
- Configuration, availability and performance reports. Monitors the performance trends of many SMS performance counters.