I have previously noted that Beta 2 of System Center Virtual Machine Manager was on it's way. Tonight it dropped. Here is a preview of the major upgrades in this release (and this is just touching on a significant list of improvements and feature enhancements):
- Completely new, easy-to-use and intuitive UI based on the System Center look-and-feel (same as System Center Operations Manager 2007, Service Desk and System Center Essentials)
- Physical-to-Virtual (P2V) Conversions (Windows Server® 2000 or Windows Server 2003 are supported)
- Virtual-to-Virtual (V2V) Conversions – Using the Windows PowerShell® interface, converts a VMWare disk or a whole VM to the analogous VS vhd\vm representation
- 64-bit VMM server support
- Every VMM component is now remotely installable, including the VMM server, library server, delegated provisioning portal, administrative console and data store
- Full Windows PowerShell support with documentation – automate away!
- Better overall performance and scalability
- Every feature from Beta 1 with more functionality and enhancements
You can read about the new features in SCVMM Beta 2 at (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=87357).
Documentation for Virtual Machine Manager Beta 2 can be found on the connect.microsoft.com Web site, which requires Windows Live ID authentication. For Beta 2, the following resources are available: