As mentioned in my last posting on OpenSuse 10.2 in Virtual PC 2007, I could not get sound to work. After just installing Mandriva 2007, I encountered the exact same problem. After a little research, I found the answer here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=149181
- Open up a command line terminal session (usually you would just right-click on the desktop and choose "Terminal")
- Type su and press Enter.
- Enter the root password and press Enter.
- Type cd /sbin and press Enter
- Type ./sndconfig and press Enter.
- Introduction: Press Enter.
- Probe Results: Press Enter.
- Card Type: Select Sound Blaster 16 and press Enter.
- Card Settings:
- I/O Port: Select 0x220 and press Tab.
- IRQ: Select 5 and press Tab.
- DMA 1: Select 1 and press Tab.
- DMA 2: Select 5 and press Tab.
- MPU I/O: Select 0x330 and press Tab.
- Press Enter
- Sound Card Test: Press Enter
NOTE Sound volume may be very low, adjust speakers accordingly.
- Test Result: Press Enter if sound was heard, if not, Tab to select No and press Enter.
NOTE If no sound was heard, the most likely cause is lack of volume
- If File Exists: press Enter to overwrite the existing config file.
- Type exit and press Enter to exit the root console.
- Type exit and press Enter to exit the standard console.
As I have already deleted my OpenSuse VPC image, I wasn't able to test and see if it worked, but I can confirm that sound works in Mandriva 2007 (within Virtual PC 2007) with the above steps. I hope this helps someone out!