System Center 2012 R2 Virtual Machine Manager (VMM 2012 R2) is an essential tool used to deploy Microsoft private and public clouds, but before you begin building clouds it is important to understand the fundamental networking objects in VMM. These networking objects form the network infrastructure of your cloud, including the virtual networks that you or your tenants create.
All of the new terms and concepts can be a little confusing at first, so we’ve created an article that covers the basics that you need to understand before you move on to more complex topics such as advanced VMM features and functions or planning and designing private and public clouds. These topics include:
- Hosts and host groups: Hyper-V hosts that VMM manages organized into groups based on location or purpose.
- Logical networks: Networks that represent your physical networks.
- Network sites: Logical groupings of hosts, IP Subnets and/or VLANs.
- IP address pools (logical networks): A static pool of IP addresses used for the associated network sites’ IP subnet/VLAN pairs.
- VM networks: A network that virtual machines and hosts connect to.
- IP address pools (VM Networks): A static pool of IP addresses for the VM network.
- Logical Switch: A template used to create virtual switches consistently across many hosts.
- Uplink port profiles: Defines the network sites associated with the switch.
- Virtual network adapter port profiles: Define the virtual network adapter properties for the virtual network adapters available with the logical switch.
- Port classifications: A label to abstract the adapter port profile settings.
- Gateways: Used to connect a Hyper-V Network Virtualization (HNV) VM network to an external network.
You can check out these topics and more here.
J.C. Hornbeck | Solution Asset PM | Microsoft GBS Management and Security Division
System Center All Up: http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenter/
Configuration Manager Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/configurationmgr/
Data Protection Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/
Orchestrator Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/orchestrator/
Operations Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/momteam/
Service Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager
Virtual Machine Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm
Microsoft Intune: http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoftintune/
WSUS Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/sus/
The RMS blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/rms/
App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
MED-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv/
Server App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/serverappv
The Surface Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/surface/
The Application Proxy blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/applicationproxyblog/
The Forefront Endpoint Protection blog : http://blogs.technet.com/b/clientsecurity/
The Forefront Identity Manager blog : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ms-identity-support/
The Forefront TMG blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/isablog/
The Forefront UAG blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/edgeaccessblog/