Hi everyone, Mark Stanfill here with a quick heads-up on a VMM setup issue I ran into the other day. I was talking with a customer who was trying to install System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 but the setup process was crashing with a call stack similar to the following:
- Exception object: 0000000002ca1010
- Exception type: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
- Message: Count cannot be less than zero.
- InnerException: <none>
- StackTrace (generated):
- SP IP Function
- 000000001E45E8D0 0000000000000001 mscorlib_ni!System.String.Remove(Int32, Int32)+0x2
- 000000001E45E8D0 000007FF0043C8C6 VMSETUP!Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.PrerequisiteInstallation.BaseInstaller.ResetInstallSource(System.String)+0xd6
- 000000001E45E930 000007FF00439562 VMSETUP!Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.PrerequisiteInstallation.PrerequisiteInstaller.Install()+0x5b2
- 000000001E45EA30 000007FF00438DB1 VMSETUP!Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.PrerequisiteInstallation.PrerequisiteInstaller.InstallPrerequisites()+0xa1
- 000000001E45EAA0 000007FF00438845 VMSETUP!Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallRequiredPrerequisites()+0x65
- 000000001E45EB40 000007FF00436400 VMSETUP!Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallerThreadEntry()+0x2b0
- 000000001E45EC10 000007FEF3292BBC mscorlib_ni!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)+0x9c
- 000000001E45EC60 000007FEF332A91E mscorlib_ni!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()+0x4e
After doing some investigating we found that the operating system language settings had been changed from English (US) to another locale. Fortunately for us there is an easy workaround which is to simply change the Language settings while doing the install, then change it back once setup is complete.
If you run into this issue, open Control Panel, select Region and Language (“Change display language” if you are in Category View), click the Administrative tab, under Language for non-Unicode programs, click Change system locale. Select English (United States) and click OK. You may need to reboot.
Click the Administrative tab, and then, under Language for non-Unicode programs, click Change system locale. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Select the language, and then click OK.
To restart your computer, click Restart now.
When done, restart VMM setup and it should complete as expected. Then when you’re all done, you can go back to Control Panel and reset your language settings to the way they were before you started and you’re good to go.
Mark Stanfill | Senior Support Escalation Engineer | Management and Security Division
System Center All Up: http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenter/
System Center – Configuration Manager Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/configurationmgr/
System Center – Data Protection Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/
System Center – Orchestrator Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/orchestrator/
System Center – Operations Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/momteam/
System Center – Service Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager
System Center – Virtual Machine Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm
The Forefront Endpoint Protection blog : http://blogs.technet.com/b/clientsecurity/
The Forefront Identity Manager blog : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ms-identity-support/
The Forefront TMG blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/isablog/
The Forefront UAG blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/edgeaccessblog/