When you try to open the SCVMM 2008 console you may receive the following error message:
The SQL Server service account does not have permission to access Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS).
Ensure that the SQL Server service is running under a domain account or a computer account that has permission to access AD DS. For more information, see "Some applications and APIs require access to authorization information on account objects" in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://go.microsoft.com.com/fwlink/?LinkId=121054.
To resolve this error, ensure that the dbo user in the MICROSOFT$VMM$ database has the role of db_owner selected OR that the account used as the db_owner is not deleted:
1) Install the SQL Server Management Studio Express. It can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C243A5AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&displaylang=en
2) Connect to the VMM Database when you open the Management Studio Express, by opening the database with:
Server Name: VMMSERVERNAME\MICROSOFT$VMM$Authentication: Windows Authentication
3) Expand into: Databases > VirtualManagerDB > Security > Users
4) Right-click on "dbo" and select "Properties"
5) Under "Database Role Membership", ensure that "db_owner" is selected
Justin Luyt | Senior Support Engineer