Error 0x80070652 when installing Windows Update

0x80070652 - ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING

Error 80070652 means that a previous installation has not been completed successfully. Restarting computer generally fixes this issue. If this doesn’t take you anywhere you may proceed with these Windows update troubleshooting steps.

Method 1: Check for the updates that have failed to install.

While using Windows Update to install this update, get the exact error message by following this step:

I. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update , and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

II. In the left pane, click View update history.

III. Starting from the most recent dates, find an update for Windows that has failed to install, and then double-click the update to view more information.

IV. Updates that have failed to install will display Failed under the Status column.

V. In the Windows Update dialog box, find Error details and review the error code for the failed update.

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates <<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-problems-with-installing-updates>>

Method 2: Download the stand alone package of the updates that have failed to install.

Please make a note of the KB article number for the specific update which was failed. Visit Microsoft download center and download the updates manually from the website.

Microsoft download Center:

<<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx>>

Enter the KB article number in the search field and download the same.

Method 3: Run the installation

Once the download completes, click Run to start the installation immediately. If you’ve saved the download, navigate to the location and run the installation from the source.

Refer this post which addresses similar issue and follow the multiple suggestions given.

<http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeinstall/thread/2338f96c-31a9-4d56-aa87-adc16bb883a6>

1. Eoin Ryan says:

After all these years, it kills me that MU troubleshooting tool can’t do this automatically.

Or, as a case in point, that there is nowhere in the standard Microsoft Update process to kick off that troubleshooting tool; so if you don’t know about the tool you have no chance of finding it.

It’s the kind of poor design that keeps IT folk employed, but no-one wants be doing these things that some well written code could do instead. Why is it so hard for Windows to respond to an 0x80070652 error (and others) by carrying out the steps above in a
    guided, prompted way?

Jialiang, thanks for sharing the steps!

2. PETER DAVIDSON says:

A while back I confronted the same error code, and I was confused as how to go about it, and all those mind-boggling questions. I tried searching for ways to resolve the error code 0x80070652, but most of the time I just stumbled across some useless piece
    of advice before I just came across this impressive blog. I appreciate the work, and having said that you can get a good fix for almost all of the Windows Update error. I am sharing the link right here, so that users like me can save their time –

3. Eoin Morgan says:

Hi
    Just go through this blog, unlike other piece of crap writings, it has got something helpful for those who are getting the update error 0x80070652 in Windows. Here you go –

You are welcome!

4. Marlene says:

Huh…how many hours I spent following the "fixes" from Microsoft when all I needed to do was right here!

5. Dee Ann says:

The above mentioned blog has been removed and I am having problems with this same error message and I can’t get around it–help!

6. LuCas says:

Thank you!!! The only solution on the internet that works!

7. lynxster says:

i get error error 0x8024200d and error 0x80070652 for windows 10 i have valid copy of win 7 ult

8. siddant says:

stilll i get the same error for same update what to do

9. adrie says:

well the first link don’t work and the 2e and 3e links are out of order.
    Microsoft will not support Windows7 anymore.

10. iamzapp says:

hi there if your trying to upgrade to windows 10 and having a LOT of errors
    simply try this one
    on the link you can download the full package of windows 10 its a 4gb. of file
    simply download it and run the setup.
    Just let me know if you encounter further issues

-Microsoft tech

11. iamzapp says:

hi there if your trying to upgrade to windows 10 and having a LOT of errors
    simply try this one
    on the link you can download the full package of windows 10 its a 4gb. of file
    simply download it and run the setup.
    Just let me know if you encounter further issues

-Microsoft tech

12. Joe says:

Upgrade is asking for installation key!

Comments are closed.