Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 supports the management of Apple Mac clients. The client for Mac computers allows you to discover, collect inventory, manage settings, and deploy applications and patches using your Configuration Manager environment.
The following Mac versions are supported in this release:
- Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
- Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
- Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
The following scenarios are supported through the Mac client in Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1:
- Discovery – Discovers Mac OS X system in Active Directory and through network discovery
- Hardware Inventory – Provides hardware inventory and auditing of computers running Mac OS X, including a list of installed software similar to add/remove programs for Windows systems.
- Settings Management – Ensures computers running Mac OS X comply with company policies using scripts and preference list management.
- Application Deployment – Distributes required software via app model.
- Software Updates Management – Distributes patches utilizing Software Distribution and Settings management features.
You can download the Mac Client from - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36212
Supported configurations and hardware requirements for Mac: See the Client Requirements for Mac computers section in the Supported Configurations for Configuration Manager topic. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx
Mac Client Installation:
- Download the Mac client msi file to a Windows system
- Run the msi and it will create a dmg file under the default location “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Mac Client” on the Windows system
- Copy the dmg file to a network share or a folder on a Mac computer
- Access and open the dmg file on a Mac computer and install the client using instructions in the online documentation. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj591553.aspx