Metered Internet Connections
For Configuration Manager SP1 only, you can manage how Windows 8 client computers communicate with Configuration Manager sites when they use metered Internet connections. Internet providers sometimes charge by the amount of data that you send and receive when you are on a metered Internet connection.
NOTE: The configured client setting is not applied to Windows 8 client computers in the following scenarios:
- The computer is on a roaming data connection: The Configuration Manager client does not perform any operations that require data to be transferred to Configuration Manager sites.
- The Windows network connection properties is configured as non-metered: The Configuration Manager client behaves as if this is a non-metered Internet connection and so transfers data to the Configuration Manager sites
Client Setting - Specify how clients communicate on metered network connections (Configuration Manager SP1)
From the drop-down list, choose one of the following for Windows 8 client computers:
- Allow: All client communications are allowed over the metered Internet connection unless the client device is using a roaming data connection.
- Limit: Only the following client communications are allowed over the metered Internet connection:
- Client policy retrieval
- Client state messages to send to the site
- Software installation requests by using the Application Catalog
- Required deployments (when the installation deadline is reached)
Important: If a user initiates a software installation from Software Center or the Application Catalog, these are always permitted, regardless of the metered Internet connection settings.
If the data transfer limit is reached for the metered Internet connection, the client no longer attempts to communicate with Configuration Manager sites.
- Block: The Configuration Manager client does not attempt to communicate with Configuration Manager sites when it is on a metered Internet connection. This is the default value.