Windows RT vs. Windows 8
Windows RT contains many of the same features as Windows 8:
- Fluid, intuitive, and easy-to-use interface design that you can easily customize.
- Built in apps like Mail, Calendar, Messaging, Photos, Music, Video, Games and SkyDrive with many more apps available in the Windows Store.
- Internet Explorer 10, for fast, intuitive browsing.
- Touch-enabled so you can interact with Windows in a whole new way.
- Mouse and keyboard–enabled so you can be as productive as you need to be.
Windows RT also includes some different features:
- Windows Update and Windows Defender are always on and up to date making your PC more secure.
- Device encryption provides advanced data protection to help keep your information secure.
- The PC can turn on instantly with connected standby.
- Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview is preinstalled.
Some features aren't included in Windows RT:
- Windows Media Player
- Windows Media Center
- HomeGroup creation (you can join an existing HomeGroup but you can't create a new one)
- Remote Desktop
- Domain Join
Although you can install apps directly from the Windows Store, you can't install apps on the desktop on Windows RT. Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview Edition comes preinstalled, which provides you with touch-optimized desktop versions of the new Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.
You can only install printers, mice, keyboards, and other devices that are certified for Windows RT.
More information can be found at - http://surface.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/Content/pbpage.Surface?ESICaching=off