One of the most significant changes is support for Windows 8. Configuration Manager SP1 supports Windows 8 in the following ways:
- You can install the Configuration Manager client on Windows 8 computers and deploy Windows 8 to new computers or to upgrade previous client operating versions. Configuration Manager also supports Windows To Go.
- Configuration Manager supports Windows 8 features, such as metered Internet connections and Always On Always Connected .
- You can configure user data and profiles configuration items for folder redirection, offline files, and roaming profiles.
- You can configure new deployment types for Windows 8 applications, which support standalone applications (.appx files) and links to the Windows Store.
Other significant changes include the following:
- Support for Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012.
- Clients are now supported on Mac computers, and on Linux and UNIX servers.
- Windows PowerShell cmdlets are available to automate Configuration Manager operations by using Windows PowerShell scripts.
- More flexible hierarchy management with support to expand a stand-alone primary site into a hierarchy that includes a new central administration site, and the migration of a Configuration Manager SP1 hierarchy to another Configuration Manager SP1 hierarchy.
- Support for multiple software update points for a site to provide automatic redundancy for clients in the same way as you can configure multiple management points.
- Client notification to initiate some client operations from the Configuration Manager console, which include downloading computer policy and
initiating a malware scan to be performed as soon as possible, instead of during the normal client policy polling interval.
- Support for virtual environments that allow multiple virtual applications to share file system and registry information instead of running in an isolated space.
- Email alert subscriptions are now supported for all features, not just Endpoint Protection.
The complete TechNet Article can be read at - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj591552