[Today’s post comes to us courtesy of the SBS SE Team]
This article lists the known issues and their workarounds after installing IE 8 on your Small Business Server and the on your Vista clients. This article is for test purposes only. Installing beta products in a production environment is not recommended or supported by PSS.
There will be some known issues after you install IE 8 on Small Business Server 2008 or your Vista clients:
- A dialog will pop up for authentication when visiting http://companyweb through IE 8, which will block you from visiting http://companyweb.
- You are not able to sign into your Office Live website.
- On a Vista client, clicking the SBS gadget to open a flyout will close the SBS gadget if a flyout is already displayed.
A dialog will pop up for authentication when visiting http://companyweb through IE 8, which will block you from visiting http://companyweb
- On the SBS 2008 server, when using IE8 to access http://companyweb you will be prompted for credentials. If you click cancel you can neither access http://companyweb nor provide credentials again.
- If you input correct credential information and click “OK”, the credential box will open again, then you click OK or re-provide the credential, but the credential box still pops up. During this time, any click cancel will cancel this visit. After the third time you click OK or provide the credential, you finally got a 401 unauthorized error in IE.
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Enable Negotiate (Kerberos) option for Sharepoint 3.0
Follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Administrative Tools, Click SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration, and then click Continue on the User Access Control Dialogue.
- In the Authentication Providers page, Click Application Management, and then click the “Authentication providers” under the “Application Security” tab
- Check the Web Application, make sure the port is 987; otherwise change web application to the URL which has the port 987
- Click the “Default” zone, you will go to the Edit Authentication page;
- Check the Negotiate(Kerberos) option under the Integrated Windows authentication tab;
- Click OK in the Dialog which gives a warning that “You have chosed to use Kerberos with Integrated Windows authentication. Manual configuration steps by a domain administrator will be required if the application pool’s security account is not the Network Service” and then click Save;
Method 2: This issue will be fixed in upcoming update rollup for SBS 2008; you can download and install it from Microsoft Update when it is available.
You are not able to sign into your Office Live Website
- After you set up Microsoft Office Live Small Business Web sites in the Home Page of Windows SBS Console
- Go to “Shared Folders and Web Sites” Page in SBS Console; try to browse to the Business Web Site under Office Lie Small Business Websites by using IE 8;you will see the sign in office live website is blocked due to Java script is disabled in IE 8 by default;
- To enable Java Script in IE 8, you need to follow this KB http://support.microsoft.com/gp/howtoscript
In Vista, clicking the SBS gadget to open a flyout will close the SBS gadget if a flyout is already open
- Join a Vista client to Small Business Server 2008 domain.
- In the Vista client, add Small Business Server Gadget to the desktop sidebar.
- Click “Organization links” to open its flyout In the Small Business Server Gadget.
- Click “Administration links” to open another flyout In the Small Business Server Gadget.
- You will see Small Business Server gadget is closed.
- To visit the SBS gadget, you need to add Small Business Server Gadget to the desktop sidebar in the Vista Client again.
- To avoid this issue you should not open 2 flyouts at once.