Behavior of the LooksAlive and IsAlive functions for the resources that are included in the Windows Server Clustering component of Windows Server 2003
• LooksAlive – The LooksAlive test for the Generic Service resource queries SCM to see whether the specified service is in a "Running" state.
• IsAlive – The IsAlive test is the same as the LooksAlive test in this context.
c:\>sc query spooler
TYPE : 110 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS (interactive)
STATE : 4 RUNNING
(STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0
File Share resource (ClusRes.DLL)
• LooksAlive – The LooksAlive test for a File Share resource retrieves the properties of the share from the Server service as a basic test that the share exists.
• IsAlive – The IsAlive test for a File Share resource does the same thing as a LooksAlive test. If the MaxUsers property is set to -1 (unlimited), the IsAlive function opens the first file on the share by using the share name. Otherwise, the IsAlive function tests that the directory path that is associated with the share is still valid.
– Technical Lead / Enterprise Platforms Support (Core)