User failing to migrate with “Server returned an invalid SOAP Fault – unexpected end of file”


The customer here was trying to migrate a mailbox from an Exchange 2010 server to Exchange Online. Exchange 2013 was being used as the hybrid server and MRS proxy. Server/domain/item names have been changed to protect the innocent. 🙂

The error being encountered was:
CommunicationErrorTransientException: The call to 'https://mail3.state.nn.us/EWS/mrsproxy.svc XYZ-SERVER.domain.w2k.state.nn.us (15.0.1104.4 caps:1F7FFFFFCB07FFFF)' failed. Error details: Server returned an invalid SOAP Fault.  Please see InnerException for more details. --> Unexpected end of file. Following elements are not closed: DataContextData, MailboxReplicationServiceFault, Detail, Fault, Body, Envelope. Line 56, position 62588.. --> Server returned an invalid SOAP Fault.  Please see InnerException for more details. --> Unexpected end of file. Following elements are not closed: DataContextData, MailboxReplicationServiceFault, Detail, Fault, Body, Envelope. Line 56, position 62588

Digging into this error, this would indicate some sort of failure on the source side. We started by looking for events in the application log on the 2013 server being used as the MRS Proxy.
- Nothing found there

We then looked at the 2010 Mailbox server the mailbox was on and found events with ID 8506, indicating problems reading the properties of an item.

We tried executing New-MailboxRepairRequest -CorruptionType SearchFolder,FolderView,AggregateCounts,ProvisionedFolder,MessagePTAGCn,MessageID on the Exchange 2010 server

This executed and the application log indicated it completed, but our move still failed.

We next attempted to move the mailbox to a 2013 server. This initially failed, but the move report for it gave me the following:
7/26/2017 6:45:39 PM Informational A corrupted item was encountered: Item (IPM.Appointment) Subject:"", Folder:"Deletions"
7/26/2017 6:45:39 PM Informational A corrupted item was encountered: Item (IPM.Appointment) Subject:"", Folder:"Recoverable Items"
7/26/2017 6:45:39 PM Informational A corrupted item was encountered: Item (IPM.Appointment) Subject:"Some calendar item", Folder:"Recoverable Items"
7/26/2017 6:45:39 PM Informational A corrupted item was encountered: Item (IPM.Appointment) Subject:"", Folder:"Recoverable Items"
7/26/2017 6:45:39 PM Informational A corrupted item was encountered: Item (IPM.Appointment) Subject:"", Folder:"Recoverable Items"
7/26/2017 6:45:39 PM Informational A corrupted item was encountered: Item (IPM.Appointment) Subject:"", Folder:"Recoverable Items"
7/26/2017 6:45:39 PM Informational A corrupted item was encountered: Item (IPM.Appointment) Subject:"Some other item", Folder:"Recoverable Items"
7/26/2017 6:45:39 PM Informational A corrupted item was encountered: Item (IPM.Appointment) Subject:"", Folder:"Recoverable Items"
7/26/2017 6:50:06 PM Informational Copying messages is complete. Copying rules and security descriptors.
7/26/2017 6:50:09 PM Informational Initial seeding completed, 11950 items copied, total size 361.4 MB (378,940,277 bytes).
7/26/2017 6:50:09 PM Informational Stage: CopyingMessages. Percent complete: 95.
7/26/2017 6:50:09 PM Informational Copy progress: 11950/11950 messages, 361.4 MB (378,940,277 bytes)/361.4 MB (378,940,277 bytes), 46/54 folders completed.
7/26/2017 6:50:09 PM Error         Fatal error TooManyBadItemsPermanentException has occurred.

We used Set-MoveRequest -baditemlimit 25 and then Resume-MoveRequest to modify the bad items allowed to be lost for this move, and then resume the move.
- It completed

We then removed the on-prem move request and started a new migration to O365.
-Migration was successful - case resolved

Comments (0)

Skip to main content