WSUS Post Deployment Configuration Fails on Windows Server 2012

I ran into a problem a few weeks ago at a customer’s site.  We were trying to install Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 on Server 2012.  A requirement to use software updates with Configuration Manager is the need to install WSUS.  I Installed WSUS via Server Manager with no problem, however when I tried to run the Post Deployment Configuration the task failed.  The error pointed to a 1KB file in the %TEMP% directory.  Upon investigation there was nothing in the file.  I noticed the Tools folder was missing from the Update Services folders.  I believe the post install task uses WSUSUtil to complete post installation configuration.  If there is no WSUSUtil.exe in the Tools folder then the post install task will fail.

I found WSUSUtil by searching for it on my 2012 server.  I copied WSUSUtil into my newly created Tools folder in the Update Services folder.

I tried running the Post Deployment Configuration after creating the tools folder, but it continued to fail.  I opened PowerShell with administrative privileges and ran the below command.

wsusUtil.exe postinstall content_dir=c:\wsus sql_instance_name=%computername%

After a few minutes the command completes and WSUS should be installed.  You will not be able to run the Post-Deployment Configuration, however WSUS will be installed.  My setup consisted of SQL and the content directory being stored locally.  Slight modifications to the command line should accommodate your specific setup.

For WID

SQL Server databases
%programfiles%\update services\tools\wsusutil.exe postinstall CONTENT_DIR=C:\Wsus SQL_INSTANCE_NAME=<database server name>

These steps should only be used to address the issue described above.  Special thanks to the WSUS Team for providing insight into this problem.

**UPDATED***

After further troubleshooting with Alex of the WSUS team, we discovered an unintended result during the installation of WSUS.  When using SQL for your database instance you must specify the name of your SQL server.  One would assume if the database is local the wizard would find the instance without specifying the SQL server name.  If you select Check Connection without specifying a server name it will return Successfully Connected to server.  Despite this misleading result, it was not successful.  The server name value it expects when running the Post Deployment step will be empty and will cause Post Deployment to fail.  If you specify the SQL server name, then there is no need to run the PowerShell command above.  You can simply run the Post Deployment step thru the GUI.

The absence of the Tools folder may still cause a failure, however there is a workaround above.  The WSUS team is still working on why this is happening and will provide an update on their findings.

I’ve test lab WSUS using Server 2012 R2 Standard with SQL 2012 SP1 is running fine BUT when I have problem with my SCCM 2012 Standard R2 using Server 2012 R2 Standard with SQL SP1 on this box but WSUS is on different box.

I could configure SCCM 2012 to deliver any patches.

On my SCCM 2012, I got this:
    Fatal Error: Unable to open the physical file “C:WindowsWIDDataSUSDB.mdf”. Operating system error 2
    Could not restart database “SUSDB”. Reverting to the previous status.

It was my post above (I didn’t know why is said “Anonymous”).

3. Phillip Balderos says:

Hi Aleksander!

Has there been any further fix for this by the WSUS team. I just ran into this issue while building our pre production lab. Where you talk about entering the instance name I actually did that it is came back with no problem. Then received the post install error. Here is the question I submitted on tech net

social.technet.microsoft.com/…/wsus-keeps-failing-on-sccm-2012-r2

Thanks

Phil

4. Jose Angel says:

I have been deploying WSUS on Windows Server 2012 and I have been dealing with this issue in all my installs.  I am using the internal Windows database.  It has been a long time since RTM and Microsoft should have fixed this issue already, so I don't know why they are taking so long for this fix!!!   I think Microsoft is not testing their stuff anymore!!

5. Guy Tanner says:

I am having the same problem adding WSUS on Windows Server 2012 and have tried two different servers and have the problem on booth servers.  I am using the internal Windows Database (WID).

6. SLGizmo says:

This too also occured to me.  It appears the logic is not there to run the powershell script as an administrator and is why it fails the post install and requires you to manually enter the informaiton via administrator powershell command.  Once I ran the command .wsusutil.exe postinstall content_dir=c:wsus sql_instance_name=localhost I was then able to continue on with the setup…

7. Joe Duehmig says:

Didn't work for me. I'm using the WID and I get the error: Database creation failed.

8. Esther says:

filling in the server in the gui didn't work for me, powershell afterwords worked

9. FranzSchenk says:

Easy solution: Start the WSUS Console. Then a message appears that the post configuration task did not run yet. You can specify again the WSUS content directory and successfully run the post configuration from this message window.

10. boost says:

When I repoint the WSUS content directory to a newly created folder named "WSUS" on the root of C:, this is what I get:

Log file is located at C:Usersadministrator.MBNAppDataLocalTemp2tmpD99C.tmp

Post install is starting

Fatal Error: Cannot start service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID on computer '.'.

11. Brandon Byers says:

Great post! Thanks to your post, I was able to resolve my problem within minutes. I'm working local in my lab environment. I have not tried it on a SQL DB but, ope it goes smooth just the same. I printing this out and putting it in my notes. Just wanted to that you for posting.

12. Manuel Benavides says:

tried what FranzSchenk suggested. It worked for me.

Thank you a lot!

13. Mayank Dhama says:

I had same issue and I solved it with help of my colleague.

I was having WSUS & SCCM Servers on different machines. I had used WID and given remote path for content file at SCCM Server. So while integrating them for synchronizing updates, I faced this issue and Solution is to add SUP role as Server & Site System Role without giving credential of WSUS Server instead of adding SUP role in primary server.

Thanks!

14. Ganesh says:

Tried the solution provided by FranzSchenk, It worked. Thanks!

15. ML49448 says:

This worked fine for me (was getting same errors thought)
    Firstly during installation specify server name only
    Then during Post deployment i again used the server name only and it worked fine
    Didn’t specify instance name anywhere and my instance is default msslserver

16. tut tut says:

FranzSchenk

29 Nov 2013 10:33 AM

Please dont post things that obviously dont work, the GUI doesnt work and you need to run a powershell command

17. yannick says:

Thanks for this. I was reinstalling WSUS on one of my servers, and probably because I removed all folders to make sure my install was clean, I was missing the wsusutil.exe. Shouldn’t the install manager create this? (or at least check?)

18. Tim says:

thinks the tools are installed you when go back to re-install and the tools directory will not be there.

19. Chris Conway says:

tried what FranzSchenk suggested. It worked for me too. Thanks Franz.

20. Dodi says:

I have tried what FranzSchenk suggested but still failed.
    Fyi, I install Wsus and Symantec EndPoint on same server

Please advice me.

21. Tim Hinchey says:

This happened to me when I stated the FQDN of the SQL server. WSUSUtil command worked a treat. Thank you!

22. Kts says:

Tim 7z comment:

"Tim 7 Nov 2014 9:56 PM

When uninstalling WSUS you first uncheck the box in roll window, then on the second screen for features you must also uncheck Remote Server Administration ToolsRole Administration ToolsWindows Server Update Service Tools. If you do not do this it still thinks
    the tools are installed you when go back to re-install and the tools directory will not be there."

Did it for me during a Server 2012 R2 WSUS Re-Install. If WSUSUtil.exe is missing then uninstall WSUS AND the RSAT tools. Then when you reinstall make sure the RSAT tools are checked. The Tools folder with the file will reappear.

Thank You All for your Posts!

23. Stephen Copeland says:

tried what FranzSchenk suggested. It worked for me too. Thanks Franz.

24. Nemanja says:

Thank you very much !

25. Eve says:

Rsharp2024, that updated version worked like a charm!! Merci

26. faST_Car says:

Thanks for the Tip – Creating "Tools" and using the first command was all I needed, also, added the "WSUSUpdates" folder inside the WSUS folder on my secondary drive (D:WSUSWSUSUpdates) – Setup failed until I created that directory. I assume that occurs
    when you change the default directories during install.

27. Surjeet Jubbal says:

We had a similar issue where the Post Installation would simply fail to complete despite several clean uninstall of WSUS on Windows Server 2012 R2. In our case, the database was on Remote SQL box. So to fix the issue, I simply followed the instruction
    outlined by Kts and Tim 7z around removing the RSAT Tools ((You must also uncheck Remote Server Administration ToolsRole Administration ToolsWindows Server Update Service Tools)) and then simply rebooted and reinstalled WSUS and provided FQDN_of_SQLServerInstance_Name
    and everything worked like a charm.. Thanks!!

28. muhammed Shafeeque says:

I am also had lot problems with WSUS, finally I reinstalled Win server 2012(CLean Installation) and tried to install and setup the wsus, I fond yes it is running.

The reason was this:

29. GeoSs says:

Just Delete Wsus From IIS , and restart the PC, Then Reconfigure Pre-Deployment ,., It will Work

30. SkeetsMB says:

After many attempts of installing and uninstalling WSUS and reading through the "fixes" on all the blogs, I was finally able to successfully complete the installation by entering the FQDN of the server without the db instance; ex: servername.domain.com.

31. Bobby Lacasse says:

My business partner was wanting a form last month and encountered a company that has 6 million forms . If others need to fill out it too , here’s a

32. Leonid says:

If you are reinstalling from scratch using Internal DB, make sure that you delete the old WID DB and log:
    C:WindowsWIDData