Cannot open or create word documents in SharePoint 2013 with Office 2010 and Project 2013

I wanted to share an issue I came across related to the SharePoint 2013. If you have installed the Office Suite 2010 and Project 2013 installed together on the same machine you will not be able to create a new Office document from the SharePoint document library, you will get a blank page displayed instead and the following URL link

ms-word:nft|u|http://o15psvr:8080/Shared Documents/Forms/template.dotx|s|http://o15psvr:8080/Shared Documents

Excel Files :  “ms-excel:ofv|u|http://sharePointDocumentlibraryURL”

This problem is related to the new Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Support this installs a new version that office 2010 is not aware of.

Here are the steps to fix the problem:

You have to change your installation of Project2013 and run the Repair of the Office 2010. The issue is linked to the New Microsoft SharePoint Foundation support which Project 2013 is installing.

To do so run the change Project
Professional from the control Panel

Disable the “Microsoft
SharePoint Foundation Support “ option and continue.

After the changes take effect run the Office 2010 Repair and the issue should be solved.

1. malgoul says:

I was struggling in this error for many days, and Finally I found the solution:

I have Lync 2013 installed in my machine along with MS Office 2010, so by defualt MS Office 2010 generate Office14 folder, and because Lync 2013 is installed also will generate Office15 folder.

So what I did is I uninstall Lync 2013 and then I repair MS Office 2010 and THE ISSUE SOLVED.

Try it and call me tomorrow.

Happy Coding

2. RaymondRis says:

Thanks Angelos for the confirmation, didn't had time lately to test it myself

@Arnie Ostrin

Did you ever solve the problem with SP Designer 2013?

I ran into exact same problem today :-/

4. RaymondRis says:

Hello Ted, try to install Sp2 or Sp3 for Office 2007 this could fix the problem for Office 2007 as well.

Thank you Raymond!

This article helped me work around a problem I had.

After I installed SharePoint Designer 2013 on my Windows 7 machine, Internet Explorer failed creating new MS Word documents from within SharePoint document libraries. URL style “ms-word:nft”.

I have Office 2010 installed.

Downloading and running SP2 of Office 2010 fixed it.

Work with word docs with the help of repair corrupted doc file

Thanks a lot. It helped. But in my case it was not a Project2013 but Lynk2013.

8. DanTheManXX says:

Hi tried the repair option on both SharePoint designer 2013 and Office 2010 which had no effect. The SP2 for Office 2010 32-bit did .. and back to developing on my own farm – can now open the requirements docs lol!

9. Arnie Ostrin says:

I had the same problem after installing SharePoint Designer 2013.  I tried your fix but it did not solve the problem.  Uninstalling SharePoint Designer corrected the problem, but as soon as the designer was reinstalled (even not including SP Foundation Support) the problem returns.

Thanks for your help

10. Jerin Xavier says:

Worked after reinstalling MS office 32 bit version instead of MS office 64 bit version

11. muhammed ünlü says:

hi, i solved the problem as i copy-paste the 2013 office' OWSSUPP.dll into 2010 office.

exact location for OWSSUPP.dll is c:program files(x86)microsoft officeoffice14 for office 2010

c:program filesmicrosoft officeoffice15 for office 2013

12. Izzi says:

Thank you!

I had MS Visio and uninstalling SharePoint Foundation Support/running Office 2010 repair worked!

13. Jerry Johnson says:

This problem exists with any mixture of Office 2013 apps and Office 2010 apps. For example, SharePoint Designer 2013, Lync 2013 (from Office 365, for example), Project 2013. All of them will break Office 2010 applications. There is a bug in the Microsoft installer that assumes all apps are 2013 if any 2013 components exist. Microsoft needs to fix this. Essentially Office 2010 is "incompatible" with SharePoint 2013. Even with the prescribed work-around from above, you will be unable to create any Office content such as Word templates or InfoPath forms with Office 2010 against SharePoint 2013.

14. Miluska Cruz says:

The solution is install Service Pack 2 de Office 2010 🙂 Finally, I can have Project Server 2013 and SharePoint Designer 2013.…/details.aspx

15. Angelos says:

I can also confirm Office 2010 SP2 resolves this issue. You may need to run a few updates before you get to see it on your Windows Update list.

16. sarah says:

Also can confirm: Office 2010 Service Pack 2 solved the issue. Thank you for the suggestion Miluska Cruz

17. scodav says:

I will also confirm that Office 2010 SP2 corrects the issue. I have the 64bit edition, I uninstalled SkyDrive Pro, installed SP2 for Office, then reinstalled SkyDrive Pro. Documents open as expected and SkyDrive Pro is working as expected.

Thanks for your help. We have several users using Office 2007 and disabling the “Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Support“ option worked.

19. Hui says:

I used office 2007 Pro and sharepoint designer 2013. it works fine after i uninstalled the SP Designer. but it disbled Microsoft sharepoint foundation support the issue does not solved.

20. Garry Trinder says:

We have a lot of computers and updating Lync2013 msp and doing office repair for Office 2007 is a long process. Any other options for Office 2007 users? SP2 fixed for Office 2010

21. Joeprakash says:

I have a SharePoint 2013 farm. In the APP server, we have ‘Microsoft Office Standard 2013’, ‘Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013’ and ‘Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2013’.

We uploaded an Excel 2013 file on a SharePoint document library. Users who have Office 2013 installed on their machines are able to open the excel file without any issues.

In user machine where Office 2010 is installed, they are unable to open the excel file from the document library. On clicking the file or trying to Edit the file, the URL is changed to be of the format "ms-excel:ofv|u|http://sharePointDocumentlibraryURL"

There is no Project Professional installed on either the server or user machines. Can you provide me the solution for the same?

22. muhammad says:

Several users reported this problem of unable to open office documents from teamsite. Using Office 2010 and recently upgraded to SharePoint 2013 and a push was done for SharePoint Designer 2013 on client pc’s that is Windows 7 64 bit enterprise. All of
    the suggestions above did not work, we can fix problem either by removing Designer 2013 or right click on document link and open or open in new windows. Problem is in IE8 and IE11 both, works in chrome and also in Citrix using IE8 (weird) for couple of pc’s
    i have seen.

23. vijay says:

Add the below script in your master page…it works…make sure you reference jquery file and run it in document.ready function…..

24. mike says:

Is there a solution if you have to do this with 2000 clients using sccm? we are using lync 2013 and those features above are added.

25. M. Kevin Mewborn says:

Just wanted to pass this along, but the fix is even easier… delete the following registry key (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTSharePoint.OpenDocuments.5) which is added by the 2013 application.

26. Andrew says:

Thanks for the post – I assume from an install perspective the best option is in fact to avoid this and perform an install of Project 2013 with the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Support disabled. What is the impact then with using Project 13 with Project
    Live (as this requires SharePoint 2013 integration) along with all other apps being local installed Office 2010?

27. Gee says:

Thanks Kevin. Have office 2007 with designer 2013 and the only thing that worked was your fix "delete the following registry key (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTSharePoint.OpenDocuments.5) which is added by the 2013 application."

28. Hans G. says:

Thanks. I had the same issue with Office 2007 and Project 2013, Visio 2013 and Lync 2013. Disabling the “Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Support“ option in all 2013 products and repair of Office 2007 solved the problem.

29. Siva says:

hanks a lot. It helped. But in my case it was Lync2013

30. MooseShooz says:

We found that disabling the offending add on in Internet Explorer resolved our issuesx

31. mike says:

This works for me. Thanks!

32. EJ Arante says:

It worked! This saved me time. Thanks a lot!

33. Richard says:

Struggling with this. I have Office 2003 (yes I know…) and Outlook 2013 running. So no option for office 2010 SP2.