A new download is available here on how Microsoft within its own IT group performs the change and configuration mgmt processes. This paper contains an overview describing how Microsoft IT takes advantage of Microsoft solutions to deploy software and services in the enterprise. It is short two page paper (they filled them up with as much info as possible believe me) but provides a good foundation for the project undertaken.
Part of the text are the lessons learned through the service improvement project.
- Gain executive and midlevel support and proactive backing.
- Spend more time on awareness and training.
- Expect an increase in changes to be documented as a result of process compliance.
- Expect people issues from a perception of additional bureaucracy.
- Use the MOF Risk and Team models.