(Post courtesy Partner Solution Consultant Waleed Abdel Nasser)
I will explain the method for Windows 10 (Home and Pro) for Consumer and how to get the Windows 10 sources and create the USB Stick.
In case that you want to apply Windows 10 Enterprise Edition (For Enterprise and SA Customers), you will need to visit the VLSC and download the ISO file from there then apply the steps from 12 to 20.
How to Create a Bootable USB Stick or a Bootable DVD:
If you want to install Windows 10 or re-install Windows 10, you will need to create a Bootable USB Stick or a Bootable DVD for Windows 10.
If you want to benefit from FREE upgrade Option, you must run the setup.exe from inside the Windows 7 / 8, perform the Upgrade and make sure that you successfully activate the Windows 10. In this case, if you format the same PC later on to do a clean installation for Windows 10, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated before on this same PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer. If you decide to do a clean installation without performing the upgrade for the first time, you will need to enter a product key for Windows 10 or buy a license in order to activate Windows 10.
Before Starting you need to make sure that you have the following information:
- What is the Current OS? And what is the eligible Windows 10 that you can upgrade to:
Host operating system edition
Windows 10 edition
Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 8.1 with Bing
Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Home
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows 8/8.1 Professional with Media Center
Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Pro
Windows 8/8.1 Single Language
Windows 8 Single Language with Bing
Windows 10 Home Single Language
Windows 8/8.1 Chinese Language Edition
Windows 8 Chinese Language Edition with Bing
Windows 10 Home China
Note: If you have an N edition of Windows on your PC, choose the N equivalent for creating installation media.
2. Which System Type do you want to install? Windows 10 32bit or Windows 10 64bit. (Upgrade from Windows 10 32bit to Windows 10 64bit is not supported, you will have to do a Clean Installation)
Now we are Ready to Go:
Go to Media Creation Tool Page for Windows 10 and download the tool (32bit and 64 bit depending on the OS of the computer that you will use to Prepare the ISO or the USB Stick)
Download the tool then Double-click the MediaCreationToolx64.exe
In first Windows, Choose “Create Installation Media for another PC”
4. Click Next
5. In the Second Page, choose the required Language of Windows 10 that you want. (You can add additional language Pack later on after the installation)
6. Choose the Edition that you want (Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro)
7. Choose with Architecture you want to use (System Type): [32bit or 64bit or Both]:
8. Choose which Media Type to you want to use “USB Flash Drive” or “ISO File”. I will recommend to use “ISO File” for now and I will explain in a later step how to convert it to a USB Drive.
9. The Application will require a location to save the ISO file [Download Size will be from 2.5 GB to 6 GB depending on the choices you chose):
10. The Application will download the Windows 10 ISO file.
11. After the completion of the ISO file, you can burn it to a DVD or using it to create a Bootable USB Stick.
12 . To create a Bootable USB Stick, we will download Windows7-USB-DVD-Tool from this URL . (this tool can be used to convert any ISO File to a Bootable USB Stick that can be used to install a Windows OS)
13. After download this tool, install it.
14. Double-click on the Application.
15. The Application will start and ask for the ISO File
16 . Click Next.
17 . Now the Application if you want to burn the ISO file to a DVD or to create a USB Stick.
18. You must have a USB Flash with at least 4 GB space.
19. The Application will confirm to erase all data on this USB Stick, and start the creation of the Bootable USB Stick and copy the file to this USB.
20. Now you have a bootable USB Stick that can be used to setup a Windows 10 PC / Notebook.