Once upon a time, you could go grab Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Inside Out, absorb all 1248 pages, and be pretty much set for three years. For the most part, Cumulative Updates and Service Packs just fixed bugs or made minor tweaks to how the product worked.
In a Services world, however… you have to stay on top of technologies that are constantly being improved. You need to learn how different components interact with each other. If you are an Exchange person, you need to be current on Identity technologies. If you are a SharePoint person, you need to be aware of changes to External Sharing on SharePoint Online.
In other words… you need to stay up on your continuing education!
The best place to do this is through the regularly scheduled Ignite Webcast sessions led by Microsoft Office 365 Product Managers, Engineers and support staff. The Ignite webcast series addresses different Office 365 technical subjects and scenarios and is beneficial to anyone who wants to increase their knowledge of the Office 365 suite. View the Ignite Site for more information about upcoming Ignite programs and webcasts. You can view past Ignite Webcast sessions here.
If you will have some downtime over the holidays, set aside a few hours to catch up on the sessions to date:
- Deploying Office 365 with FastTrack, part 2 – Jeff Medford
- Microsoft Forefront Online Protection (FOPE) to Exchange Online Protection (EOP) Transition Walkthrough – Vivek Vinod Sharma
- Exchange Architecture – Brian Day
- Managed Availability – Abram Jackson
- Exchange Virtualization – Jeff Mealiffe
- Office Deployment with FastTrack – Jeff Medford
- SharePoint Online Management and Control– Mark Kashman
- Exchange High Availability and Site Resilience – Scott Schnoll
- How to use eDiscovery in Office 365 – Mark Bauer
- Exchange Introduction – Scott Schnoll
- Password Sync – Lucas Costa
- SkyDrive Pro: Apps, Web, oh my! – Mark Kashman
- Data Loss Prevention in Exchange – Roop Sankar Bagepalli
- Site Mailboxes in Exchange 2013 – Roop Sankar Bagepalli
- Exchange Modern Public Folders – Mark Fugatt
- Office 365 Midsize Business – Nick Caw
- Office and SharePoint App Model – Ali Powell
- SharePoint Online – External Sharing End-to-End – Mark Kashman
- Message Trace in Office 365 – Mark Bauer and Sujata Tamang
- Introduction to Office 365 Architecture – Andy O’Donald
- Office 365 Service Management – Linda Harrell (BROWN) and Sandra Lafreniere
- Exchange eDiscovery – Brian Day
- The New Office 365 Pilot – Brian Shiers and Steve Diagle
- Exchange Deployment and Coexistence – Brian Day
- Understanding DirSync – Daniel Kenyon-Smith
- Hybrid Deployment – Daniel Kenyon-Smith
- Cutover and Staged Migrations – Daniel Kenyon-Smith
- Understanding Identities and Single Sign On – Daniel Kenyon-Smith