Embedding a PowerPoint Deck on SharePoint 2010

(Post dedicated to Nuri, Operations Manager for our delivery team in EMEA, and courtesy Sean Earp)

With the addition of PowerPoint Web App to SharePoint 2010, you can now view and edit PowerPoint presentations directly from within your browser.  This technology has also been made available to consumers on services such as http://office.live.com/ and http://docs.com/.

In the past, it has been difficult to embed a PowerPoint document within a webpage, requiring workarounds such as saving the presentation as pictures, PDFs, or MHT documents.  If you have a public presentation, it is now extremely easy to embed a PowerPoint deck on any web page, following the steps on the aptly named how to embed a PowerPoint presentation on a web page post.

Unfortunately, these steps do not work if your installation of PowerPoint Web App is local.  The Share –> Embed option available from http://office.live.com is simply not present on SharePoint 2010.

So what to do if you want to embed an internal, private, or confidential PowerPoint presentation on an internal SharePoint page?  Fortunately, it is possible to embed a presentation on a webpage without posting the presentation on a broadly available public site.

Step 1: Ensure that Office Web Apps have been installed and configured on SharePoint 2010.  Those steps are out of scope for this article, but the official documentation should be all you need:  Deploy Office Web Apps (Installed on SharePoint 2010 Products)

Step 2: Upload the PowerPoint to a document library

Step 3: Click on the PowerPoint Deck to open it in PowerPoint Web App.  It will have a URL that looks like:

Don’t worry about writing down the URL. Unfortunately, you can’t paste it into a Page Viewer web part without getting an error message.  So… a little magic to get the URL we need to embed our PowerPoint deck on our SharePoint Page.

Step 4: Open the Developer Tools in Internet Explorer (F12), and search for iframe.

Step 5: Copy the first result into your text editor of choice.  The magic URL you need is the one within the src attribute.

Step 6: Delete everything except the part inside the quotes.  Before the PowerPointFrame.aspx, add the relative URL to your site collection _layouts directory, and copy the whole URL into your clipboard.

Step 6: Go to the SharePoint Page you want to embed the PowerPoint into.  Add a Page Viewer Web Part to the page.  Open the tool pane for the web part,

Step 7: In the Page Viewer tool pane, paste in the URL, and optionally enter a height/width and chrome state for the PowerPoint Deck.

Step 8: Hit “OK” and be awed at how awesome it looks to have a fully functional PowerPoint deck embedded on your page.  You can view the deck full screen by clicking “Start Slide Show”, you can change slides, view notes, click links, or click the “popout” button to have the deck open up in a popout window.

Super-secret-squirrel trick: If you want the deck to default to a slide other than the cover slide, click through to the slide you want, and then click the popout button in the top right of the PowerPoint Web App.  The deck will be open to that slide in its own window.

Use the same Developer Tools trick from step 4, but this time search for &SlideId.  You will see the URL has added two parameters… a slide ID and popout=1 (the URL will end with something like &SlideId=590&popout=1).  You can guess what popout=1 does, and the SlideId is some sort of internal reference to the Slide ID (I have no idea how it is generated, but it doesn’t matter Smile.  My web app-fu will work just the same). Just copy the &SlideID=somenumber and paste it to the end of your URL in the Page Viewer web part, and now your web page will display the PowerPoint deck starting on whatever page you specified!

Additional Resources

Office Web Apps technical library

1. Tabares says:

Nice, I need this information, Thankyou very much!!

2. KellyK says:

Do you know how to generate this pop out url programmatically?

3. lenny says:

Super sweet! Very many thanks for posting this, exactly what I was looking for.

4. mrashleyevans@hotmail.com says:

I figured out how to do it programmatically.  Here's my blog post on it:

5. Hein says:

I have followed these steps and it looks great, I am however running into a problem.

Adding the link to the web part and clicking "Test Link" takes me to the correct page, however, when clicking ok, I get "PowerPoint Web App cannot open this presentation because of an error. Please try again."

The real funny part is that when I click Start SlideShow, it works!

Any ideas?

6. Bang says:

I got the same problem as Hein, please help 🙁

7. Ian Hayse says:

Hein and Bank,

I had the same issue you all were having, then I re-read the instructions.

In IE, with your PowerPoint presentation open, hit F12.

When the Developer Tools window opens, search for iframe.

Under the search box click on Attributes.  In this window you will see src. That will show the part of the URL you are wanting to make this work.

src  PowerPointFrame.aspx?PowerPointView=ReadingView&BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH—2FForms%2FAllItems%2Easpx

Now, say your site url is:  http://blah.com/site/

In your Page View WP, your link address would be:

8. Darren Jones says:

We linked the URL you need to a button so didn't even have to display the deck, so users just click on a button and the presentation opens. However, we noticed that the navigation arrows (buttons bottom left still appear) even though they are turned off in power point kiosk view. Why are they appearing when embedded in sharepoint? Any idea how you turn them off for SharePoint?

9. MutazAG says:

Nice one!! thanks.

10. Raki says:

I have office communicator in Page Viewer Webpart; after logging in chat window opens in New window , is it possible to show inside the chat window inside webpart

11. Cindy says:

12. JP says:

Is there any way that i can disable the file, Open in Power Point and Edit in Browser options . I need to have these features disabled so that the users wont be in a position to download the ppts

13. Karl says:

Is it possible to auto-run a slide and avoid the controls showing?

14. Simbob says:

Great post thanks.

Karl – yes save the PP as a media show and then add it to the page in a media web part. it will run automatically and with setting change you are able to loop etc.

15. DD says:

When i follow the instructions all i get is the first slide…not the slide deck.

16. Dhirendra says:

I need to make the presentation auto play any suggestion please let me know!

17. Joe Cisneros says:

SlideId doesn't seem to work with PowerPointView=SlideShowView.. It goes to the first slide.

This always shows the first slide: https://domain/sites/SiteCollection/Site/_layouts/PowerPointFrame.aspx?PowerPointView=SlideShowView&d=%5BLONG IDENTIFIER]&SlideId=[#]

One solution could be to make a PPT with only one slide, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of isolating a slide that could be updated automagically.

18. Joe Cisneros says:

But this method ("ReadingView") does work fine if you're not trying to do the "SlideShowView," which hides all of the controls at the top and bottom.

19. MWP says:

Great post Sean – really appreciatted 🙂

20. Ian says:

How do I make the powerpoint presentation continue on a loop?

21. Looping does not work says:

Even with the settings set to "Loop contineously" the slide shows in the browser stops after 1 loop. Who knows a solution for this?

22. Pavan says:

What if the PowerPoint file you are using have ERM on it?  which permissions will be used for it ( either document library or ERM Permissions) if I want to use the ERM permissions what shoudl I do?

23. Henrik Andersson says:

Hi, I got "PowerPoint Web App cannot open this presentation because of an error. Please try again". I had to replace "&" with "&" in the link url.

Pingback from Embed PPT in SharePoint 2010 | PT Designs

25. Pieter says:

Is there a way to make the PowerPoint-view/box automatically fit the size of the web part ?

26. liz says:

Thanks so much 🙂

27. Brandon says:

Great info and worked great except for the image of the .pptx title page is blurry… I cant figure out how to get a sharp and clear image…

28. Dave says:

Hi All – I have followed the instructions accordingly but am getting a “File not found” error. I’ve tried recopying the src code again but no luck. How can I verify that the code is pointing to the powerpoint? Any suggestions?

29. thomas says:

This works but appears tiny on our Macs. Does anyone know how to fix?

30. will says:

Is there a way keep the changes you made and upload a different powerpoint slide without going through the same steps again for the new powerpoint?

31. Help me! says:

Hi! I am sooo close to getting this to work!

It’s perfectly embedded….just a small problem….it is giving me an error!

32. rich b says:

If you have Office 2013 web apps running on your SP Farm – you can always just open the file in your ppt web app, select file / share / embed – copy the code for the embed and paste into a CEWP or text file and link to. Hope this helps a little.

33. Ankur Jain says:

Nice article, saves a lot of time for me 🙂

34. mirandae says:

Thank you for this post! I found it very helpful and your instructions were clear and easy to follow.

35. humi says:

I am getting the following error

This content cannot be displayed in a frame

To help protect the security of information you enter into this website, the publisher of this content does not allow it to be displayed in a frame.

What you can try:
    Open this content in a new window

when I click on Open this content in a new window
    it opens the powerpoint but I want it to be embedded.

can anyone help

36. ANON says:

I had the same issue as Hein and I manage to get it to work. (PAGE 1)

error: "PowerPoint Web App cannot open this presentation because of an error. Please try again."

I realized that the tutorial tells you to copy the HTML block into notepad. Some people may be doing the "right click –> edit as HTML" on the browser’s inspect element. When doing that, it somehow becomes a different HTML code than copying it directly from
    the browser’s inspect element code.

I copied ONLY the content between the src="_______________" and directly from the browser’s inspect element and pasted that into the notepad and added the "/your sharepoint/site directory/_layouts/" before it.

37. Daniel says:

In my case, "src" is not specified… When inspecting the first "iframe" search result, all I find is this:

38. Daniel says:

Hm, the code from my last comment disappeared… Anyway, when inspecting the line of code after the first "iframe" reference, all I find is (…)iframe id="WebApplicationFrame" name="WebApplicationFrame" src="" width="100%" height="100%" style="position:
    relative; top: 0px; left: 0px; right: 0px; bottom: 0px" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
    Anyone has got a clue how I can determine the source for the PPTX I want to embed?

39. Jeremy Harris says:

Is there anyway to make this run as a conitnuous slide show?

40. Kyler says:

THANK YOU!! You have no idea how long I’ve been looking for this.

Question will the same trick work for regular web pages? I’ve been wanting to show parts of pages and not the whole layout (such as left nav and top nav bars).

Thanks ever so much.

41. Pat & Vin says:

After creating multiple. PowerPoint Web App Presentations in the past, most recently, we got an error message "PowerPoint Web App cannot open this presentation because of an error. Please try again".

After a few days of checking everything, we realized that when you cut a paste the "src reference code into note pad, for what ever reason it adds"amp;" in 2 locations withing the code, make sure you remove "amp;" from the 2 locations within the code for the
    Web App to work.

42. Calvin says:

In addition to Pat & Vin’s comment on the 25 May 2015, you’ll also need to remove the semicolon that’s next to both the ‘amp’ in the URL for those of you who tried removing only ‘amp’ and still seeing the error.

43. Sharon says:

How can I center the web part on the page?

44. David says:

@Calvin – Huge help to point out the semicolon also needs to be removed from the "amp"

45. Auddssey says:

Helpppp… and how do i show only two slides, say only page 6 and page 7 from 30 slide pages. thanks