*** Update *** Please see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2010/09/17/project-server-2010-applied-august-cu-and-having-problems-with-jsgrid.aspx if you are having issues with JSGrid after loading JUST the Project Server 2010 CU - KB 2276341
Yesterday saw the release of the August Cumulative Update (CU) for both Office 2007 and Office 2010 product families, including Microsoft Office Project Server 2007, Microsoft Office Project 2007, Microsoft Project Server 2010 and Microsoft Project 2010.
These include a number of fixes, so Microsoft strongly recommends that you evaluate in a test environment based on your production environment before putting this fix live in production.
Also do not forget the upcoming Webcast where Adrian Jenkins and Brian Smith will provide an overview of this release and also address related questions:
TechNet Webcast- Information About Microsoft Project and Project Server Cumulative August Update - Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:00 AM Pacific Time (US & Canada)
For full details of this series please see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chrisfie/archive/2010/06/16/microsoft-project-and-project-server-2007-and-2010-cumulative-update-webcast-series.aspx
The article below provides information on how to deploy the Project Server Cumulative Update. There is an article in the works for 2010, but basically the steps are the same.
- Deploy cumulative updates (Project Server 2007) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd239177.aspx
We strongly recommend that you install WSS and Office Servers 2007 Service Pack 2. The KB articles below provide information on how to download and install SP2 if you have not already done so.
- Description of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SP2 and of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Language Pack SP2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953338
- Description of 2007 Microsoft Office servers Service Pack 2 and of 2007 Microsoft Office servers Language Pack Service Pack 2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953334
- Description of Office Project 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2) and of Office Project Language Pack 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953326
The server patches require that WSS and Office Servers 2007 SP1 be installed. For clarity, SP1 is required and SP2 is strongly recommended. Here are the links to the SP1 Server Patches for your convenience:
- Description of the 2007 Microsoft Office servers Service Pack 1 and the 2007 Microsoft Office servers Language Pack Service Pack 1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936984/en-us
- How to deploy the 2007 Microsoft Office servers Service Pack 1 and Office Server Language Pack 2007 Service Pack 1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945013/en-us
The Server CU is released in two different versions. The first version is in Individual Packages specific to a particular product like WSS and Project Server. These are smaller downloads but they do not include language packs or patches for other products so patches for those products would have to be downloaded and installed separately.
The second version is the Server Rollup Packages. This is a set of rollup packages which contains (for 2007) all the fixes for WSS, Project Server and MOSS. These packages should be used when MOSS is part of the deployment and/or you have language packs installed. The Server Rollup Packages are much larger (~200MB each) but they will greatly simplify MOSS patch deployment.
For 2010 there are new combinations due to the fact that SharePoint Server 2010 is now a required feature. I will update this post once the articles are live with a better description of the rollups, but basically the Project Server rollup contains the SharePoint Server patches – but the Server Rollup no longer contains the Project Server patches
You can read about the fixes included in the August CU from the following articles:
Note: There may be a few days delay before all of the articles are published.
Individual Product Packages:
- Description of the SharePoint Server 2007 hotfix package (sts-x-none.msp): August 31, 2010 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2276469
- Description of the Project Server 2007 hotfix package (Pjsrvapp-x-none.msp; Pjsrvwfe-x-none.msp): August 31, 2010 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2276475
- Description of the Office Project 2007 hotfix package (project-x-none.msp): August 31, 2010 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2289175
Server Rollup Packages:
- Description of the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Cumulative Update Server Hotfix Package (WSS server-package): August 31, 2010 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2276474
- Description of the Office SharePoint Server 2007 Cumulative Update server hotfix package (MOSS server-package): August 31, 2010 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2276472
Individual Product Packages:
- Description of the SharePoint Foundation 2010 hotfix package (Sts-x-none.msp): August 31, 2010 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2266423
- Description of the SharePoint Server 2010 hotfix package (spswfe-x-none.msp, pplwfe-x-none.msp, osrchwfe-x-none.msp): August 31, 2010 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2276339
*** Update - If you load the Project Server 2010 hotfix 2276341 you will also need to load at least 2266423 listed above. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2010/09/17/project-server-2010-applied-august-cu-and-having-problems-with-jsgrid.aspx
- Description of the Project Server 2010 hotfix package (Wosrv-x-none.msp, Pjsrvwfe-x-none.msp, Osrv-x-none.msp): August 31, 2010 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2276341
- No August update for Microsoft Project 2007
Server Rollup Packages: *** Descriptions updated ***
- Description of the SharePoint Foundation 2010 Cumulative Update Server Hotfix Package (SharePoint Foundation server-package): August 31, 2010 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2352346
- Description of the SharePoint Server 2010 Cumulative Update Server Hotfix Package (MOSS server-package): August 31, 2010 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2352342 (Does not include Project Server patch)
- Description of the SharePoint Server 2010 and Project Server 2010 Cumulative Update Server Hotfix Package (MOSS server-package, Project server-package): August 31, 2010 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2352345
In order to install the 2007 hotfix, you will need to have Microsoft Project 2007 SP1 installed on the client. The article at the URL below contains information on how install download and install SP1 should you not have it installed already.
Note: We strongly recommend that you install Project 2007 SP2 from the information earlier in the article.
- Description of Project 2007 Service Pack 1 and of Project Language Pack 2007 Service Pack 1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937154/en-us
Once we know that SP1 is installed, you will install the hotfix by performing the following steps:
NOTE: Microsoft strongly recommends testing within a NON-Production environment prior to rollout.
- Download the hotfix from the KB Article above (KB 2028571).
- Extract the patch package by running the .exe file that you downloaded.
- Run the extracted .exe file to apply the patch to your Project Professional/Standard SP1 (or preferably SP2) client.