Microsoft Office 2010 - including Project Standard 2010, Project Professional 2010 and Visio 2010 use the same volume activation technology as Windows 7 and Windows Vista. If you have already set up a Key Management Service (KMS) host to activate Windows, you can use the same host to activate Office 2010 after a few steps.
Volume Activation Methods
You can use the following methods to activate Office 2010 by using Office Activation Technologies, which are the same methods that are used for Windows Vista and later versions of Windows:
Multiple Activation Key (MAK). With a MAK, clients activate Office 2010 online with the Microsoft hosted activation servers or by telephone.
Key Management Service (KMS). KMS uses a KMS host key to activate a KMS host computer and establish a local activation service in your environment. Office 2010 connects to the local KMS host for activation.
A combination of KMS and MAK.
For detailed information, see Overview of volume activation for Office 2010 in the technical library.
For information about when you would use each activation method, see the four scenarios described in detail in Volume activation quick start guide for Office 2010 in the technical library.
- Q: How could the product be activated in non-connected environments (e.g. without Internet access)?
- A: The option is to use MAK and activate by telephone or by a MAK proxy activation using the VAMT 2.0 – more information from Ted is available here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/office2010volact/thread/2fab72e4-cd14-41ce-aa68-912c149e0529
- Q: Could I activate the Project Professional 2010 Beta by telephone?
- A: Unfortunately no – this option is not available for Beta products – you can however use the MAK proxy activation (see above) if your computer does not have access to the internet or your organization does not have KMS set-up.
- Q: Where do I find the MAK or a “Product Key” for Project Professional 2010 Beta?
- A: After registering for download on Microsoft Project Professional 2010 Beta page the key is generated for you, you can re-visit this page anytime.
- Q: How do I enter MAK or a “Product Key” for Project Professional 2010 Beta?
- A: run the application, click “File”, then choose “Help” and on the right hand side click “Change Product Key”.