In this post I’ll examine a specific issue in Storage Spaces while using with Enclosure awareness.
Storage Space Setup with Enclosure awareness:
Note: There are only 2 enclosures for the disks.
The Scenario for the Issue:
1. Create Storage Pool in a cluster.
2. Use IsEnclosureAware flag to enable the Storage Space enclosure to be more resilient.
3. Connection to Storage Pool fails when either one of the Enclosures (e.g., Enclosure 2 here) is switched off.
The Cause for the Issue:
With Windows Server 2012, a majority of drives need to be available for the pool to be online. In a case where you have two enclosures and an equal amount of drives in each, a majority of drives will not be online if one enclosure is going offline.
A Solution for the Issue:
Using three enclosures will address this since a majority of drives will be online even in the event an enclosure goes offline.
· Enclosure Model Used: http://www.aicipc.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ref=XJ3000-2242S
· SAS Controller Model: http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS3801E.aspx