Windows 8.1 Logon Script Delay Group Policy Setting

If you are evaluating Windows 8.1 in an enterprise environment that also contains logon scripts there is a new Group Policy setting you should be aware of. Windows 8.1 by default delays logon scripts for 5 minutes. There are many poorly written or misbehaving logon scripts out there, the 5 minute delay will ensure that the user's desktop remains responsive during the logon process. However, this may come as a surprise for many organizations especially since the intent of most logon scripts is to perform some action prior to the user interacting with the desktop.

Group Policy preferences have pretty much eliminated most of what logon scripts used to do and I recommend verifying that what the logon script is meant to accomplish cannot be done using Group Policy prior to writing a logon script; however, in case your organization does still need logon scripts without the delay and plans on deploying Windows 8.1, you may want to change the following Group Policy setting to ensure that the logon script runs as expected:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Group Policy > Configure Logon Script Delay

1. alan says:

Does anyone know what to do if the “Configure Logon Script Delay” option is not there?

2. Ian says:

Thank you for the article.

As you’ll not find it by loading Local Security Policy off of the Start Menu > Administrative Tools

load the Microsoft Management Console
    MMC > File > Add/Remove Snap-in… > Group Policy Object Editor > Local Computer, OK
    Local Computer > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Group Policy > sort Settings, then > Configure Logon Script Delay

Regards
    Ian

3. Shahin says:

I have win 2012 standard and windows 8 for my client.do you know how to get this CSE for my network?

4. Eric says:

C:WindowsPolicyDefinitionsGroupPolicy.admx should be dated 9/29/2013 for this to show up on the machine you are using group policy management. If admin has these placed on sysvol for everyone, these files should be updated in that location.

5. blake says:

Ignore the comment above, was keyboard mashing. Thanks!

6. Rick says:

Just so people are aware, you get the Policy files from
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=41193 and add them to your server. More, generic GPO info here

7. Daniel says:

the only way i was able to do this was by using the user properties "logon script" from the "profil" tab. i’ve tried it by scheduled task and by gpo but nothing was working.
    i have a thought that it could be caused by the fact that my Domain is at fonctionnality level Windows 2008 (since i still have an ADC with 2008).

i didnt have the chance yet to try it with a full 2012 domain to see if it’s make a difference.

i hope that’s can help some people to save times (i had to spend several hours on this situation)

8. edr says:

saved me time, thanks

9. Joel Schumacher says:

You can find the answer to the logon script delay question here:

10. John P says:

When you guys decide to implement taskbar pinning in GPP we can get rid of logon scripts.

11. saed says:

I am having persistent problem regarding my clients in domain.. I am using windows server 2012, the clients are around 150 computers all got freeze.. the customers are shouting regarding that severe slow computers.. I have no idea what can I do. help me
    out…

12. Tim says:

I configured a GPO with logon and logoff scripts, and set the Configure Logon Script Delay GPO setting to Enabled with the setting of zero (I also tried setting it to Disabled), but the scripts still wait five minutes to run. When I run RSOP on the server
    I am logged into the Logon scripts show, but the Configure Logon Script Delay does not listed, so it is not getting applied. Computer policy is Enabled in the GPO. Computer policies from other GPOs show in RSOP. What would keep the Configure Logon Script Delay
    from getting applied to the server? The domain controller and domain level are Windows Server 2012 R2. The server I m logged into is server 2012 R2.

13. Tim says:

I have an update to my previous post. Looking in ROSP I found that the Computer Configuration section of the GPO with the scripts is not getting applied. The status shows "Not Applied (Unknown reason)". How do I troubleshoot to find the Unknown reason
    for the Computer Configuration not getting applied?

14. Tim says:

I figured out why the Computer Configuration was not getting applied. I was using Security Filtering to apply the GPO to one group. I had to also add the servers in the Security Filter. Once the servers were added, the Configure Logon Script Delay setting
    got applied and the scripts run at logon with no delay.

15. Window says: