Migrate from MySQL to SQL Azure or SQL Server with ease!
On 12-August Microsoft announced the release of first version of SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) for MySQL! Along with this release, Microsoft refreshed the existing SSMA family of products for Oracle, Sybase and Access with the latest v4.2 release.
SQL Server Migration Assistant for MySQL is the newest migration toolkit, others include Oracle, Sybase, Access, and an analyzer for PowerBuilder. The toolkits were designed to tackle the complex manual process customer’s deal with when migrating databases. In using the SQL Server Migration Assistants, customers and partners reduce the manual effort; as a result the time, cost and risks associated with migrating are significantly reduced. Our recent SSMA survey showed that 94% of SSMA downloader’s would recommend the tool to others. All SSMA toolkits are available for free download.
Since the SQL Server Migration Assistants for Oracle became available in June of 2005, Microsoft has seen more than a 250,000 downloads across all of the SSMAs. US Department of Defense, Aon, AIM Healthcare, Motorola, Simon & Schuster, Sony Ericsson and Artesia are just a few of the customers that have downloaded and used the SQL Server Migration Assistant toolkit to migrate to Microsoft SQL Server.
With this wave of release, customers can migrate to any edition of SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2005. Brand NEW with this release, SSMA for MySQL and SSMA for Access products also support simple and direct migration to SQL Azure.
The latest SQL Server Migration Assistant is available for free download and preview at:
Customers and partners can provide feedback via firstname.lastname@example.org.
SSMA for MySQL v1.0 is designed to work with MySQL 4.1 and above. Some of the salient features included in this release are the ability to convert/migrate:
- Stored procedures
- Stored functions
- DML statements
- Control statements
The latest SSMA v4.2 release for Oracle/Sybase/Access includes:
- Console support for automated DB assessment/DB migration/SQL syntax conversion for application migration.
- Support for client side and server side data migration for convenience.
- Better support for 64-bit platform.
- Microsoft Access (Access 97 and above) to SQL Azure migration (you can continue to use existing Access front end applications though the data resides in SQL Azure)
- Support for migrating to SQL Server 2008 R2
- Support for migrating from latest Oracle (11g R2), Sybase (15.5) and Access (2010) releases