Underscoring its commitment to providing midsize businesses with cost effective solutions for managing both physical and virtual IT environments, Microsoft today announced the release to manufacturing (RTM) of System Center Essentials 2010 and System Center Data Protection Manager 2010.
System Center Essentials 2010 (SCE 2010) provides IT professionals in mid-sized organizations with a unified physical and virtual management experience. It enables you to better secure, update, monitor, and troubleshoot from a single console, so you can efficiently and proactively manage your IT environment.
The main addition to this second System Center Essentials release is the seamless integration of Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 technology, making it quick and easy for midsize business to begin realizing the cost-cutting benefits of server consolidation using virtualization. SCE 2010 will enable you to rapidly move from a physical to virtual server environment while maintaining the control and simple management you have come to expect from the product.
System Center Data Protection (DPM) 2010, meantime, delivers unified data protection for Windows servers such as SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint, Virtualization and file servers -- as well as Windows desktops and laptops. Microsoft has re-engineered DPM 2010 to be more scalable so that both midsize and enterprise-class organizations can take advantage of it.
Key additions in DPM 2010 include:
- The ability for roaming laptops to get centrally managed policies around desktop protection, so that your laptop data is protected, whether you are connected to the corporate network or remote
- Enhanced virtualization protection, including Hyper-V R2 LiveMigration scenarios and the ability to recover single-files from within host-based backups
- Additional protection and recovery capabilities for Windows application servers like SQL Server, Exchange or SharePoint
- Native site-to-site replication for disaster recovery to either another DPM server or an off-site cloud provider
- Significant enterprise-scalability increases for deploying DPM in large environments
- Centrally managed System State and Bare Metal Recovery