Things to do in Flight Simulator X

Missions in Flight Simulator X are somewhat of a mystery right now, and I'm not going to spill the beans before details of our plans are officially announced. But I can say they provide "new things to do."

Advanced users and Flight Simulator enthusiasts don’t seem to have any difficulty figuring out what kinds of interesting and entertaining things they can do in the product. New users on the other hand see an intimidating and huge world and don’t have the foggiest idea what to do. Once they figure out how to takeoff and have flown over “their house.” I can just hear them thinking, “well I guess that’s it, the other stuff looks too hard anyway…” How many copies of Flight Simulator have ended up on the shelf because of this? Too many I’m sure.

So this is why tdragger said in a video taped interview at CES that the missions are intended for new users. However, if you read my earlier post, we take a balanced approach to design and there are missions that should appeal to all types of users and skill levels. Of course I can’t tell you what any of them are, but eventually you will see information released. I’m also excited about what the community will create which will really open up the possibilities.

1. MatthieuLaban says:

I’m really excited about this new feature !

I’ll sure convince my friends to try out the missions !

I’m already an FS fan, so I don’t need anything to make me play FS, my imagination makes the misions for me 🙂

2. Francois_Dumas says:

I think even ‘hardened’ FS fans will find that the missions can add something to using FS 😉

Actually, look at how many regular FS forum users buy FSPassengers, FSCargo and other such systems….. actually I was quite amazed with the success of these products… in SPITE of all the negativism of exactly those hard core simmers.

It turns out that once they DO get such systems to ‘play’ with, it actuallt ADDS to the immersion… depending on how you use them.

I am certain we will see some surprising things happen by the end of this year :-))

Francois

3. davidvoogd says:

I’m looking forward to the missions, I enjoy making my own flights most of the time, but sometimes it’s nice to be told "what to do" too.

One thing I really hope is part of FSX’s missions is a full blown mission editor that lets users create their own custom missions to share with others.

4. Dennis_k says:

I think davidvoogd has a point in the "mission editor"

Would be nice to make some exiting missions and share them on avsim.com / fligthsim.com

Give’s a nice addition to FSX, and also, nwe users can use them to enhance there experiance and eventualy learn how to fly the LDS / PMDG planes.

5. JayCee says:

In the very early (prehistoric) days of FS, if it hadn’t been for the likes of Charles Gulick, John Rafferty and Jonathan Stern with their detailed descriptions of "missions" (or "adventures") I would probably have abandoned FS as ‘yet another boring game’ …

Even today I thoroughly enjoy Bill Stack’s column in Computer Pilot Magazine (shameless plug, I know)

Like most people I’m too lazy to concoct my own adventures, so I’m sure the missions will be welcomed by the more seasoned simmers as well.

6. P-12C says:

Hmm, a mission editor. Seems like that would kind of be required for the FS community. Wouldn’t it?

7. roy_mcm says:

Hey Paul,

you going to be in Puyallup this weekend? I’m showing up some time on sunday.

8. P-12C says:

Roy, I won’t be there as I have some family stuff to attend to. Have fun!

9. Dennis_k says:

An missioneditor won’t be "required", but it will be an great addition in FSX. Its a great way for us to make interesting missions, and share these with other people. And if you include a coupple of missions, people will play them and after a period of time they will ignore them. But with the community making missions, you can download and play them. Who knows what interesting stuff will be made.

(sorry for my bad english)

10. sclincoln says:

While I think a mission editor would be great too, I would like to see a mission creator.  For example, given that I am at XYZ airport and want to fly ABC plane, generate a mission flying passengers/cargo from some nearby airport, somewhere else.  Basically, like FSCargo except not be limited to cargo only.  It would also be nice to have the option to have a flight plan created for you, and the ability to create your own flight plan if you so choose.

11. P-12C says:

I think we all want the same thing. Considering our exact plans haven’t been announced, I can’t say much more…

12. Clint says:

I am really looking forward to the mission aspects of FSX.  I believe it will really open up new areas for the community.  If done right and with an online capable component (wink…wink) a system like this could be made to serve the virtual airline community very well.  Can’t wait to see what you all have in store for us.  Since this is my first post I’d like to say thanks to P-12C for your blog and motivating me to get involved.

13. P-12C says:

Well Clint, thanks for participating. I kind of assumed that the folks reading this blog are all hard core users that regularly post in forums. It’s nice to know it’s not limited to that.