Windows App Store doesn’t load after Windows 10 upgrade!

It’s back! The Windows App Store issue that makes you think you’re going to download exciting applications and games, but in reality, you’re just gonna watch spinning dots until your eyes bleed.  We fixed this in Windows 8.1 with PowerShell, so what do you do this time?

If you click on the App Store icon in the Taskbar here Capture02 or

If you click on the App Store in the Start Menu

Screenshot (14b)

What you expect to see is this:

Capture05

But if you are suffering from App Store misbehavior what you might end up seeing is hours and hours of this:

Capture01

Fortunately, once again, PowerShell is our hero.

First right-click on the Start Menu icon and select Command Prompt (Admin)

(alternately you can type  windows-key_small_thumb_2D88F194 + X to open the context Window.)

Screenshot (16c)

In the Command Prompt (Admin) Window type or copy and paste the following text:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

It should look like this:

Powershell

Once the command finishes, you should be able to open the App Store and download Apps and Games to your heart’s content.  Tip your waiters and waitresses, I’ll be here all week.

Dave

1. thomas says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This was driving me crazy!

2. Dylan says:

Thanks a ton

3. Victor Rodilla says:

No entiendo como le ha dado tanto problema a la gente…Gracias!

4. Ron says:

Upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Store will not open. Try to reset as shown above. Still not working

5. james says:

Fixed half of my apps that won’t working like mail and calc, but not the store, or anything that is downloaded from the store

6. Joshua says:

I tried this, but it gives me a red code:

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path ‘C:AppxManifest.xml’ because it does not exist.
    At line:1 char:97
    + … fest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife …
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:AppxManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

1. Maddy says:

Happens to me too

2. Carolyn says:

I have the same problem Did you ever get a resolve?

7. mike says:

you’re magic! Thank you!!!

8. Majam says:

Thanks; it worked.

9. ffub says:

does not work for me either. error says the problem is on "our end," meaning the store. No clue how to fix.

10. RMart says:

I can open the app store in Windows 10, but the downloads are eternally stuck on "pending."

11. Dan_IT says:

Sorry it doesn’t work Tried twice and store still is stuck on the wheel of misfortune

12. Ron says:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + ‘AppxManifest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}" Used this command didn’t work. All I get is
    something saying "The server stumbled"

13. Amerz says:

The app blinks and then disappears after I run the command in Windows 10

14. Ron says:

My Store app opens for about 5 seconds, then says server stumbled, then disappears.

15. Haris says:

16. will says:

Worked like a charm!!

17. Saghar says:

I tried twice but still doesn’t work….Store app opens for about 5 seconds, then says server stumbled, then disappears.

18. Saghar says:

19. Brian says:

I did this still doesn’t work as soon as a open the store i can search for anything but when i try to download something my store just closes

20. KevinM says:

same issue as everyone here…practically…so store not working…therefore my apps can’t up date…i’ll wait till something works…thanks for all the help people…g/j…

21. Roger Simms says:

I tried my friend but with regret still does not work, I’ve tried to get help from Microsoft but needless to say that’s a waste of time they ignore all requests for help. Anyone know the implications of changing to Mac?

22. thomas says:

Gave me also a red code and now the store is gone. Cant find it on start menu and definitely cant open it. Please fix

23. SoulDiva says:

Thank you so very much for this solution. It’s the only one that worked. Back to fun, instead of playing IT on my computer.

24. Pralin Pavithran says:

Thank you very much.

25. Muhammad Kamran says:

Didn’t work. Trying to download Facebook app.

26. Rach says:

You are a star Dave it worked for me only brought my new computer yesterday and thought what a load of pants as my son obviously wants the game apps and it wouldn’t work so you saved the day thankyou

27. Jay R. says:

ok so now the app store opens fine ..BUT it doesn’t let me sign in so i can download apps.. any ideas?
    whenever i try to sign in… it says choose your account, as soon as i click the account i wanna sign in with, the window closes and nothing happens .. @David Williams Dixon

28. WendellMcc says:

Wow it worked! Thank you so much.

29. Ben says:

Doesn’t Work. Tried it multiple times and does nothing.

30. anon says:

i’ve tried multiple times and doesn’t seem to work. it opens for a brief second but then closes…

31. User_from_Czech says:

Hello.

Confirming functionality. Just tried on Surface 3 with clean installation of 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, right after shell finished, WIndows Store app start working. Before I was unable to even open Windows Store. 5* for me!

32. User K says:

Hey people try running the command prompt in administrador, pressing the right click button and then press, run as administrador.

33. NigelPrice says:

Hi Since I did a system restore I have lost win store.I’ve tried using your message above but I get cannot find path c:appxmanifest.xml doesn’t excist:line1 char:97

34. Patty Mc says:

I tried all of the above and no luck. I finally just uninstalled the Power shell program completely (go into your control panel then to programs and look for power shell. Uninstall it. Worked like a charm. Everything is operational

35. mordi says:

dam.. thanks very much ut was very helpful and quick!

36. It doesn’t work for me 🙁

37. Blanch says:

What will I do if everytime i click an app in the windows store, it keeps on crashing and closing. i tried to reset WS but nothing changes

38. patrick albert says:

What about for windows phones

39. prakhar says:

awesome

40. prakhar says:

awesome

41. charles says:

It did not work for me.: Ampersand not allowed in command line!

42. Brian says:

Sorry still no Store

43. elmer says:

It gave me redcode:
    At line:1 char:73
    + … = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation _ ‘AppxM …
    + ~
    Unexpected token ‘_’ in expression or statement.
    + CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnexpectedToken

44. Bob Hyatt says:

I got the red code:

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path ‘C:AppxManifest.xml’ because it does not
    exist.
    At line:1 char:97
    + … fest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife …
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:AppxManifest.xml:String) [Ad
    d-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManag
    er.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

45. shaun says:

Won’t even allow a paste into it. Didn’t work when typed.

46. Khan says:

THANX MAN U R GR8

47. Didn't work for me :( says:

ERROR:
    Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.7.1.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxManifest.xml)
    failed with error 0x80070005. See
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app
    deployment issues.
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId]
    de88e742-faf2-0004-86f3-88def2fad001 in the Event Log or use the command line
    Get-AppxLog -ActivityID de88e742-faf2-0004-86f3-88def2fad001
    At line:1 char:97
    + … fest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife …
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : SecurityError: (C:Program File…ppxManifest.xm
    l:String) [Add-AppxPackage], PSSecurityException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageMa
    nager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

48. DM says:

it worked for me, thanks

49. KM says:

Did not work. Error was
    Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.
    Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.8.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package
    because there was a merge failure with the following file: C:Program
    FilesWindowsAppsMicrosoft.WindowsStore_2015.8.12.0_neutral_split.language-fi_8wekyb3d8bbweresources.pri
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 369ebd5b-fe92-0001-abc7-d53692fed001 in the Event Log or use
    the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 369ebd5b-fe92-0001-abc7-d53692fed001
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-AppxPackage -register "C:Program FilesWindowsAppsMicrosoft.Win …
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:Program File…ppxManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

50. SHCHIN says:

Who can help me? i still cant open it. it show red sentence

51. Trish says:

tried this every way imaginable….. still does NOT work

52. AlbertO says:

I feel the pain of everybody. I had the same problem and could not find a solution. Finally I went to Settings>Update & Security>Recovery>Reset this PC and chose the option to Keep My Files. Finally the Windows 10 Store was fixed. I have to install again
    all my applications but this is a small price to pay. Happy now!!

53. Pat says:

App Store will not open up. This did nothing to fix the problem.

54. vincent says:

It worked for me thanks !!

55. Heather says:

this didnt work!! the app for me doesnt respond at all when click on it

56. TW says:

Didn’t Work! The windows store app still doesn’t open! ;(

57. Hamid Mehmood says:

thank you sooooooooooo… much baby.. it works!
    mmmmmmuuuaaahhh :*

58. Not a fan of Win 10 says:

Sadly, this didn’t help. I still have the following: ! side a circle. Below that: Try that again. Below that: Something happened on our end. Waiting a bit might help. Below that: The error code is 0x801901F7, in case you need it. Below that: CV: +zc1I(could
    be a lower case L, I opted for an upper case "I")ANQfU6QI(again this could be a lower case L, I opted for an upper case "I")/K9
    Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, I’ve been dealing with this since I upgraded to Win 10 approximately 2 weeks ago.

59. Juan Carlos Paz says:

Thank you very much, it worked in an Acer aspire one

60. Freshta says:

I have a asus R556L (windows 10) and if I click of the app store it wont open.
    I dont really care about the store but because store doesnt work, camera and galery dont work now to. its so annoying!
    Can you please help me to fix this problem?

61. mak says:

Thanks very much. working smooth.

62. ivan says:

Its not only the windows store app I my case. After doing a system restore, all my Bing apps like weather and calendar stopped working. And the fix didn’t work. It just gave me a red code

63. AJ says:

None of the above worked for me; ultimately, I found the problem was my DisplayLink graphics driver (for my Lenovo docking station.) Uninstalled that driver, and the Store suddenly worked fine in Windows 10. And so did various apps from the store that
    hadn’t been opening, like Calculator.

Found an older version of the DisplayLink driver and installed that, and it didn’t cause the problem.

64. Zx says:

Didn’t work for me unfortunately……when are MS releasing the patch? Anyone?

65. Dr Sylvester Benson says:

GET YOUR PROBLEM SOLVE TODAY WITH MY PROFESSION IN ANY SPIRITUAL SPELL OR ANY KIND OF PHYSICAL BATTLE THAT NEED, MY NAME IS DR SYLVESTER AND THIS IS MY EMAIL FOR CONTACT (stbenson391@gmail.com) OR YOU CAN FOLLOW HIM UP ON FACEBOOK BY MY NAME (SYLVESTER E BENSON)
    ON FACEBOOK OR CALL ME ON MY MOBILE NUMBER +2348136090988, AM ALWAYS AVAILABLE TO RENDER YOU HELP WITH EXPERIENCE OF 32 YEARS IN SPELL CASTING AND HERBAL MEDICURE TO CURE ANY KIND OF DISEASE THAT YOU MAY HAVE, CONTACT ME ON ANY KIND OF ISSUES.

66. Stuart G says:

Brilliant! Thanks.

67. Adarsh Dhakal says:

bogous it doesnt work stupid

68. Adarsh Dhakal says:

bogous it doesnt work stupid

69. Adarsh Dhakal says:

bogous it doesnt work stupid

70. Gregg H says:

Following hyperlink from answers.microsoft.com worked for me:

Oh, one more thing, I had to restart my computer after applying above fix contained in hyperlink above.

71. David says:

Worth a fortune!!
    Many many thanks!!!
    Problem solved !!!!!

72. McKenzie says:

This didn’t do anything with the store app!

73. AJ says:

After searching and searching, this worked! Thanks so much!

74. Special19 says:

just wanted to say thx

75. Anon says:

Thanks a lot ! Got my windows store to work again, along with Cortana (for which no fix I found elsewhere ever worked).

76. shaun says:

Top bloke. This has been winding me up for WEEKS! You fixed it for me! KUDOS!!!!!

77. Salman says:

it show me ”check your connection” but my connection is ok……

78. imad says:

thannnnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkssssssssssssss

79. Ap0st0l says:

****** THANKS DUDE!!!!!!! You saved my life…

80. Brian Gurnett says:

Did not work. see below code generated by suggested help says coding is incorrect. I keep getting such errors with various suggestions which seem to work for some but the code in each attempt looks as if it could never work ‘as is’ because = is not recognised
    or some missing file. I am no coding expert but the warnings look pretty clear. Perhaps someone more expereinced could solve the problem which loads of others are wasting enormous time and effort compared to MS !! in solving the problem that appears to caused
    by MS who claimed in August 2015 that they had solved it – now nearly November 2015 !!

============================================================================
    PS C:WINDOWSsystem32> PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + ‘AppxManifest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"
    PowerShell : = : The term ‘=’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script

At line:1 char:1
    + PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Ge …
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (= : The term ‘=…nction, script :String) [], RemoteException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was
    included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:5
    + & { = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + ‘Ap …
    + ~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (=:String) [], CommandNotFoundEx
    ception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

81. Dave says:

did not work for me…. I have tried as many fixes as I could find. Even re-loading windows. No luck.

82. Mark says:

this worked for me

83. Whatsapp For PC says:

this is working great!
    sent from whatsapp pc – https://for-pcs.com/download-whatsapp-for-pc

84. Duri says:

85. mama says:

i have done but it also doesnot work for me.

86. gourav says:

I run this command in command prompt(admin)
    then also my window app store is not opening only blinking one time and appear

87. acharlie13 says:

I had the same problem with mail and store not working. I tried everything listed above and then some, nothing really worked. I build my pc, not store bought. I had to reset windows 10. It fixed everything and windows 10 and all functions are working properly.
    It comes at a cost though. You lose your old operating system and any self installed programs. The process will make a folder and put it on your desktop of all programs removed. Will not effect factory programming if store bought.

88. rajesh says:

u rock man !! thanks

89. Turan Azerbaijan says:

It worked for me. Thank you!

90. Cierria says:

OMG thank you thank you…….worked like a dream

91. kim says:

Worked perfectly

92. April says:

This exact way did not work for me so I combined this solution with another solution.

First I opened up the task manager and clicked ‘run a new task’
    Second I entered in the box Powershell. (Make sure the box below is checked.)
    Third I copied and pasted the text highlighted in blue from this page. (I tried another website and it did not work. Use it from the one from above!)
    Once it finished and looked like the picture from above, I opened up the store but it still didn’t work so I restarted it.
    After restarting, it finally worked!

Hope this helps the people that still can’t get the store to work!!

93. Mariana says:

I tried entering the code and whatnot but it says there is an error and that the ‘{$manifest ‘ is not recognized and typed exactly what it says on the screen cap. Can someone help please?

94. Salman says:

will it work in windows 10 ..plzz help

95. Arvin says:

Thanks man !

96. bhaa says:

= : The term ‘=’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included,
    verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:5
    + & { = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + ‘Ap …
    + ~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (=:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

cmdlet Add-AppxPackage at command pipeline position 1
    Supply values for the following parameters:
    Path:

97. ML49448 says:

98. Mrugesh says:

Didnt work

99. Moe IC says:

Thank you you saved me a reinstallation of Windows ! 🙂

100. deadhead says:

worked for me, just remember to restart computer Thanks

101. yogesh rkm says:

above trick worked for me,thank you very much

102. Amal says:

not working

103. Poo-Pooh LeRoux says:

Bingo! Merci!

104. V says:

Thank you! Solved only after a restart.

105. james says:

how do you remove the program because it just crashed the store for me plz help

106. Dave says:

Yes you know it………..you are awesome. worked perfectly.

107. Raul says:

hey worked for me! awesome!

108. Nishi says:

it did not work for me i got following error message. can anyone help me

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could
    not be registered.
    Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.23.23.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package because there
    was a merge failure with the following file: C:Program FilesWindowsAppsMicro
    soft.WindowsStore_2015.23.23.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbweresources.
    pri
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId]
    dfde1c1b-2f1f-0001-7b3b-dedf1f2fd101 in the Event Log or use the command line
    Get-AppxLog -ActivityID dfde1c1b-2f1f-0001-7b3b-dedf1f2fd101
    At line:1 char:97
    + … fest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife …
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:Program File…ppxManifest.xml:S
    tring) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageMa
    nager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

109. Jai says:

similar error Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.23.23.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package because there
    was a merge failure with the following file: C:Program FilesWindowsAppsMicro
    soft.WindowsStore_2015.23.23.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbweresources.
    pri

110. Victoria5 says:

Windows store app and a number of other apps such as Photos and Calculator are still not working. Getting same error as Jai… something like

Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.23.23.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package because there
    was a merge failure with the following file: C:Program FilesWindowsAppsMicro
    soft.WindowsStore_2015.23.23.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbweresources.

for many apps. So can’t reinstall them. Would love to have some fix that does not require me to do a clean install of windows 10 which will lose my customisations and self-installed programs.

Pah!

111. bill says:

spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:5
    + & { = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + ‘Ap …
    + ~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (=:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

cmdlet Add-AppxPackage at command pipeline position 1
    Supply values for the following parameters:
    Path:

112. R1ck says:

Buy a original Windows 10. Try not use pirated version.

113. Gordon S says:

Worked a treat, thanks very much!

114. Erika says:

CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!! that was super easy and IT WORKED! THANK YOU!!!!!!!! Worked as of 1/11/16

115. Stefan says:

Wow dude, this actually worked 😀 Although I’ve got some kind of error report in command prompt, store is working without a flaw. Thanx allot.