“Hey!” the e-mail began. “My Live Tiles aren’t Working! They are stuck! Help!”
‘Hey!’ I thought. ‘I know how to fix that!’
One of the coolest features of Windows 8.1 is Live Tiles. Live Tiles update frequently with the information you care most about, whether it is Weather, News, Sports, Technology, or just your friends latest Tweet or Facebook status; Live Tiles will get you that information and display it in an easy to consume way on your Start Menu.
Live Tiles in Windows 8.1
Fortunately issues with Live Tiles are rare and rather simple to troubleshoot. Some of this I have covered before (but not specifically in relationship to Live Tile issues) so please pardon duplicate info from previous blog posts.
1. Proxy Issues – if your internet connection is through a Proxy Server (usually a work laptop or desktop) and you have Windows 8 Live Tiles that aren’t updating you might want to try the steps listed here - Using authenticated proxy servers together with Windows 8
2. Try using WSRESET.EXE ( I wrote about this in a previous blog)
wsreset.exe is a tool found in C:\%Windir%\System32\ that “resets the Windows Store without changing account settings or deleting installed apps”
Simply run wsreset.exe as an administrator and the Windows Store cache is cleared, and you can try loading the store or purchasing an app again.
The quick way to open the Administrator Command Prompt in Windows 8.1? Right click the Start Button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
After you run WSRESET.EXE in Windows 8 or Windows RT you will receive a message stating the Cache as been Cleared. In Windows 8.1 the store will simply open.
3. Try running the Windows 8/8.1 troubleshooting diagnostics.
The apps troubleshooter can help resolve issues with apps not running correctly, or issues with the Windows 8/8.1 App Store.
4. Check the following Registry Key
( HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages)
Ensure that SYSTEM has all the Rights selected as shown.
5. Try syncing your App licenses from the App Store.
Open the Windows Store.
From the Charms menu select the Settings option.
Tap or click App updates.
Tap or click Sync licenses.
More Tips on Troubleshooting Live Tiles coming soon!