Just an FYI that on Friday we released version 6.1.7599.0 of the Operations Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007 R2, delivering some new and updated standard and operational data reporting capabilities:
The Operations Manager 2007 R2 Management Pack alerts you to problems with components such as agents, management servers, the Operations Manager database, agents, modules used by workflows and services so that you can continue to monitor the servers and clients that your business depends on.
The management pack includes tasks that you can automate to get easy access to common diagnostic tools, such as restarting a health service or reloading an agent configuration.
The Operations Manager 2007 R2 Management Packs includes the following features:
- Local and Remote Monitoring of an Agent’s Health
- Operations Manager agents monitor themselves for events and performance indicators that signal an issue with the agent’s health.
- Management servers also maintain an external perspective of an agent’s health via the Health Service Watcher.
- The ‘Agent Health State’ view provides a side-by-side dashboard of both perspectives on the agent.
- Optional, Automatic Agent Remediation Capabilities
- If the Health Service Watcher determines that an agent is unhealthy, a series of diagnostics and recoveries can be enabled to further diagnose the problem and event take actions to attempt to fix the problem (e.g. Ping the server to see if it is completely offline, start a stopped agent, trigger a reinstall, etc.). Refer to the management pack guide for more details.
- Agents are monitoring their own process to ensure that memory utilization is not sustained at unacceptable levels. If this condition is detected then the agent will automatically restart itself to force the freeing up of memory.
- Detection of Problems and Misconfigurations with Run As Accounts and Profiles
- Checks are run on a regular basis to detect if any of the management group’s “Windows” type Run As Accounts have credentials which are about to expire. Alerts will be raised, and where possible this will be done in advance of the credentials expiring to avoid outages.
- Alerts will be raised if any errors are encountered during the distribution of Run As Accounts.
- Monitoring of problems with Running Workflows in Management Packs
- Numerous rules are provided to detect if workflows within management packs are failing. Examples of workflows include discoveries, rules, monitors, etc. Failures can range from bad configurations on the workflows themselves, script failures, permissions problems, etc.
- Reports for identify drivers of data volumes in your environment
- Introduced with the 6.1.7599.0 release of the management pack, these reports provide insight into the overall data volumes being processed by your environments. These reports can be used for gaining an understanding of current usage levels in order to establish a baseline and for identifying opportunities for tuning.
- Operational Data Reporting
- Introduced in the 6.1.7599.0 release of the management pack, these reports gather information and sends reports to Microsoft on a weekly basis (if you select to send reports). Microsoft uses these reports to improve the quality of its management packs and Operations Manager 2007. Participation in the program is strictly voluntary. For more information, see the Management Pack Guide.
- 5/27/2009 - Original release in System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2, version 6.1.7221.0
- 10/8/2009 - Updated release, version 6.1.7533.0, Refer to the management pack guide for a detailed change log
- 2/19/2010 - Updated release, version 6.1.7599.0, and introduced new MP files to the package for standard and operational data reporting. Refer to the management pack guide for a detailed change log.
To download the updated Management Pack please visit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=61365290-3c38-4004-b717-e90bb0f6c148&displaylang=en
J.C. Hornbeck | System Center Knowledge Engineer