What’s this? A post on System Center Essentials? And you thought we only covered Operations Manager and MOM. Well here’s an issue that seems to pop up every now and then so in case you run into it at least now you’ll know how to fix it.
Issue: When viewing computer groups in the SCE management console, some of the Managed Computers may show as "Not yet contacted".
Cause: In most cases this happens because of a communications problem between the computer and the server. For example, the computers that are showing as “Not yet contacted” may be pointing to the original WSUS server that was in place before upgrading to System Center Essentials 2007, or there may be an underlying TCP/IP related issue that is preventing proper communication from occurring.
Resolution: To verify that the computer is pointing to the right server address, check in the registry at hklm\software\policies\microsoft\windows\windowsupdate and find the WUServer value. This should point to your server using both the FQDN and the port. For example:
Once the address and port are correct (or if they already were correct), if the computer still shows as “Not yet contacted,” the following troubleshooting steps can be used to further isolate the problem:
1. Verify that the agent can communicate with the WSUS server as mentioned in the WSUS admin guide:
To do this, complete the following:
- Open a command window.
- Verify that the client has a valid IP address: Type ipconfig /all
- Contact the WSUS server: ping WSUSServerName
- Contact the WSUS HTTP server: Open Internet Explorer and in the Address bar type:
where WSUSServerName is the name of the WSUS server, and portNumber is the port that has been configured for it (for example, 80 for HTTP, 443 for SSL, and 8530 for a custom port).
2. Verify the existence of the self-update tree. In Internet Explorer, go to:
If the WSUS server is functioning properly, you should see a File Download window asking you whether to open or save the file. Close the window.
3. Try re-setting the WUAU client. To reset the Automatic Update client:
- Open a command window.
- Type wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow
- Wait 10 minutes for the detection cycle to finish.
4. Verify that the affected computers are in the SCE_Managed_Computers group:
a. Open Active Directory Users and Computers <DSA.MSC>
b. View the OU that contains one of the computers that is experiencing the issue
c. Open the properties of the Computer
d. Select the "Member Of" tab.
e. Verify that SCE_Managed_Computers is listed here. If not, add the computer to the SCE_Managed_Computers group.
f. Log the client off of the network, then log the client back on.
g. Restart the OpsMgr Health Service on the client.
J.C. Hornbeck | Manageability Knowledge Engineer