Office Web Apps 2013 – Rebuild your Farm in a few Easy Steps!

Because there is minimal configuration overhead (from an Office Web Apps perspective) and zero data loss, there is little risk to rebuilding a farm.  These steps can be a legitimate part of an action plan for resolving technical issues with Office Web Apps.

1. Take farm offline (if there is a load balancer)

2. Collect the current Farm information via Powershell (on WAC Server):

Get-OfficeWebAppsFarm > c:\MyWACfarm.txt

3. (If multi-server farm) use Powershell (on WAC Servers) to remove each child machine from the farm, then remove the parent machine.  This will delete the farm.

Remove-OfficeWebAppsMachine

4. Reboot the Office Web Apps server(s).

5. Recreate the farm via Powershell (on WAC Server) using (if appropriate) the parameter values from "MyWACfarm.txt".

New-OfficeWebAppsFarm -InternalURL "http://WACServer.corp.contoso.com" -AllowHttp -EditingEnabled -OpenFromURLEnabled

6. Reunite the children with their parent via Powershell (on WAC Server).  Run this from each child server:

New-OfficeWebAppsMachine -MachineToJoin <ParentServer>

7. Bring farm back online.

Note: You may want to rebuild the bindings via SharePoint Powershell (on SharePoint Server):

Remove-SPWOPIBinding –All:$true
New-SPWOPIBinding –ServerName “WACServer.corp.contoso.com” -AllowHttp

Note: Anything above in Red you need to replace with the correct information from your farm.

Useful Resource:

Configure Office Web Apps for SharePoint 2013

Hi Chet. Wildcard certificates are not supported with Office Web Apps Server. Please see the following:

•The FQDN in the SAN field can’t begin with an asterisk (*).

2. Chet says:

Hi Tom,
    is it possible to use a wildcard certificate when publishing externally over https? we have one for our SharePoint 2013 farm eg *.contoso.com and I want to use the same certificate for our office web apps server – eg. oweb13.contoso.com

In the following blog, I am going help you verify that WAC Server is working via circumventing a WOPI

4. Boblar says:

I use wildcard cert with no issues at all!

5. rbsibrad says:

Boblar can you share a little more on your certificate configuration, we would like to do the same.

6. TickedOff says:

Brilliant. After hours of hunting articles and trying them to no avail, this worked for me. However, Microsoft SharePoint developers and managers have a lot to answer for. SharePoint is so unstable I find I spend more than half my time fixing things that
    should work. This is really really really baaaaddddd!

7. Wayne Knopp says:

Boblar – How did you get the wildcard cert to work? Every time I try to setup the farm using *.domain.com power shell tells me that it was "unable to find the specified certificate".

This is the command I’m running:

New-OfficeWebAppsFarm -InternalUrl "https://server.domain.com" -ExternalUrl "https://owaps.domain.com" -EditingEnabled -CertificateName *.domain.com

The certificate is installed properly but power shell refuses to see it.

8. Erwin says:

Wayne, you need to specify the ‘friendly name’ of the certificate after -certificatename

9. Matt says:

I have tried several friendly names and even the first part of my domain name and powershell still refuses to see it!! How hard can this be?? I am trying to install on a 2 node with MS NLB but can’t even create the farm

10. JohnD says:

You can manually specify a friendly name on a Wildcard cert by going into its properties via MMC.

11. Nicholas says:

the first thing to be done is friendly name specification immediately after the certificate name

12. Marouane BOUZOUBAA says:

you can try to use certificate with alternative names. The common name should contain the FDQN and the alternative names all the DNSes. Since, I am using AD CS, I had to put the ceritificate in a GPO and restarted the OWA. then It picked ip.