September 2013 Office Update Release

The September 2013 Public Update release for Office is now live. There are 36 security updates (7 Bulletins), and 80 non-security updates available for download.

MICROSOFT SECURITY BULLETIN MS13-067

• Security Update for Windows SharePoint Services (KB2810061)
  • Security Update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (KB2760420)
  • Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 (KB2810067)
  • Security Update for 2010 Microsoft Business Productivity Servers (KB2817393)
  • Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 (KB2817372)
  • Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2817315)
  • Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2810083)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office Web Apps Server 2013 (KB2817305)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (KB2760589)
  • Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 (KB2760595)
  • Security Update for 2010 Microsoft Business Productivity Servers (KB2553408)
  • Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 (KB2760755)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Web Applications (KB2817384)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Excel Web App (KB2760594)

MICROSOFT SECURITY BULLETIN MS13-068

• Security Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB2825999
  • Security Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB2794707)

MICROSOFT SECURITY BULLETIN MS13-072

• Security Update for Word 2003 (KB2817682)
  • Security Update for Office 2003 (KB2817474)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760411
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2597973)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB2767773
  • Security Update for Microsoft Word 2010 (KB2760769)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2767913)
  • Security Update for Word Viewer (KB2817683)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760823

MICROSOFT SECURITY BULLETIN MS13-073

• Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB2810048)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB2760583
  • Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2010 (KB2760597)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2013 (KB2768017
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2007 (KB2760590
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760588

MICROSOFT SECURITY BULLETIN MS13-074

• Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2596825)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687423)
  • Security Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2810009)

MICROSOFT SECURITY BULLETIN MS13-075

• Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687413)

MICROSOFT SECURITY BULLETIN MS13-078

• Security Update for Office 2003 (KB2825621)

NON-SECURITY UPDATES

To improve content controls and general stability and performance:

• Update for Microsoft Access 2010 (KB2553446)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2760598)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589298)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553157)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589370)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589375)
  • Update for Microsoft OneNote 2010 (KB2810072)
  • Update for Microsoft Filter Pack 2.0 (KB2810071)

To improve interactions with IE, content controls, interactions with Anti-virus filtering, and general stability
and performance:

• Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2760758)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2598285)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589275)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2794737)
  • Update for Microsoft Visio Viewer 2010 (KB2810066)

To improve interactions with video, and general stability and performance:

• Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 (KB2553145)
  • Update for Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2010 (KB2553351)

To improve user interface, interactions with the operating system, and general stability and performance:

To improve the English lexicon, and spelling updates:

• Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2817311)
  • Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2810081)

To improve interactions with IE, touchpads, the user interface, and general stability and performance:

• Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2810085)
  • Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2760550)
  • Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2737981)
  • Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2752055)
  • Update for Microsoft Project Server 2013 (KB2752074)
  • Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2738040)
  • Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2817300)
  • Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2727045)
  • Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2752053)
  • Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013 (KB2726935)
  • Update for Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2013 (KB2760518)
  • Update for Microsoft Access 2013 (KB2752093)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2760539)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2817493)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2817626)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2817632)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2760267)
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2760533)

And the junk e-mail filters…

• Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB2825947)
  • Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (KB2825641)
  • Definition update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726)
  • Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2760587)

For those experiencing repeated offering of patches or missing patches in WSUS / SCCM, please visit this post: blogs.technet.com/…/september-2013-public-update-update-targeting-for-microsoft-update-wsus-and-sccm.aspx

Hi Susan,

We are investigating these reports and will advise accordingly. Matt, we are investigating this issue as well.

Last mont we installed the Sharepoint Aug CU 13 cumulative Update. This month when we tried to install patches from MICROSOFT SECURITY BULLETIN MS13-067 it says the updates are already installed. Were these updates included in AUG CU 13 update?

@Pafka, we are experiencing some issues in updating the image store with the September Public Update. This is an issue with the image store and not the update itself.

All look to installed successfully yet reappearing as not,

Bazar as usual.

6. susan says:

Are you guys aware of the following issues:

Constant reoffering of

KB2760411

KB2760588

KB2760583

answers.microsoft.com/…/2a624908-f4b1-46d8-87ed-caa09674ff4f

KB281009 issue Access 2013 update won't install

social.technet.microsoft.com/…/kb2810009-issue

7. Matt says:

•Update for Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2010 (KB2553351) isn't available in English for Downloading in SCCM.

8. Pafka says:

Hi,

when can we expect the Click-to-run version (from O365) to get updated?

I don't see any new version number in this report. Also, Office 2013 Click-to-run says it's fully up to date (August version – 15.0.4517.1509).

Usually, a new version is downloaded automatically as soon as patches for MSI version are published by Microsoft. However, not this time.

9. bill says:

Count me in as seeing the same exact thing as Susan.

10. Bob Hyatt says:

On top of all those issues I just found out that I received a patch for Office 2007 that I don't have installed. Now I can't open any document (Excel/Word/Powerpoint)

11. paula says:

12. Dan_IT says:

Add persistent re-offering of KB2810048 to the list. This is happening in spite of Automatic Updates recording this update as having been downloaded successfully and its presence as a successful download in Add/Remove Programs. System = Windows XP Pro SP3 with MS Office 2003. Cheers, Dan

13. Peter says:

I also had the Office Starter 2010 on my laptop but after the most recent update it appears to be gone and I can no longer open any word/excel/powerpoint documents.  I tried a system restore to just before the update and Office Starter worked again.  However, when windows automatically updated today, I lost it again.  Anyone know how to fix this?  One thing I read online said undo the updates, then manually check for updates and do not install KB2760588 and KB2760823.  Is that true?

14. Steve says:

After updates yesterday and today, I get persistent re-offering of KB2810048, KB2760411, KB2760588

15. Roni Hewitt says:

What is the remedy for the reofferings?

16. Citizen Tom says:

KB2589275 has also broken Office (word & Excel) Starter that came with my Dell.

17. Bob Hyatt says:

I had to redo the file associations and then I was able to open all Office files again. Figure this out by chance after scratching my head for the whole day yesterday. A Restore was not necessary. Unvelievable!

18. I am also experiencing the same issue as Matt.

Has this been resolved?

19. Ken says:

Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB2810048) have installed 8 times! Will the next patch eliminate this problem?

OS: Win 7 64-bit

20. jerry says:

We installed the Aug 13 2013 Cumulative update for SharePoint SP2 a couple of weeks ago. Now when we try to install any of the updates from MICROSOFT SECURITY BULLETIN MS13-067 it says they have already been installed. Did they install with the Aug 13 update?

21. Ramesh says:

Can we have a cumulative package to slipstream in Office 2013 ISO.

22. Thomas PCGURU tech support NZ says:

I had to redo the file associations for all office 2010 starter for two customers today and then they were able to open all Office files again. Both after this update. Associations included .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, powerpoint viewer too

23. kathleen says:

Continual reoffering of two updates for Office 2007, which is not installed on my computer (KB2760411 and another KB27-something).  I stopped those on custom install.  But also continual reoffering of KB2810048 for Excel 2003, which I do have on my computer. Don't know whether to kill that on custom install or not . . . ?

24. jpsef mengele says:

get a mac stop catering to the lowlifes from microsoft an evil company

25. Mopo says:

You updated my office this morning and now I can't open any of my word folders.

26. Hi There

I'm having a very different issue, Word keeps crashing when Quickparts that are linked to SharePoint are inserted, Overall stability in word has significantly reduced, all this issues occurred during the September 11 patch update, Please HELP!

27. Jaim says:

Update KB2589275 has caused my computer to stop recognizing Word Starter 2010 as a valid source to open files. Is this a common issue? Should we uninstall this update and stop auto updating?

28. Frustrating! says:

Why can't I uninstall this update, that is all I want to do

I have changed my setting, to never allow updates automatically.

This is so frustrating!!!!

29. VKBALMER says:

The following updates keep reappearing as new after they

have already been successfully installed.

Windows XP Pro

(KB2760588) (KB2810048) (KB2760411)

30. Kaycee says:

An automatic update "kb2589275" has also stopped my computer and my friend's as well, from recognizing Word Starter 2010 as a source to open files.  Is there a fix from Microsoft yet for this problem.  My computer will not allow me to uninstall that update (no uninstall button or link).

31. Dawn says:

kb2589275 has cause microsoft office to STOP WORKING.  FIX THIS you are causing my business to not be able to operate.

32. cridgit says:

Also getting reofferings and struggling to open office files (security warnings).

33. Annette G says:

Ever since my system auto updated Microsoft Office 2010 Updates KB2598285 and KB2589275 two days ago I now cannot open any of my Microsoft Office documents. It does not recognize that I even have the program installed anymore and is flagging me to purchase the program.

34. Andrea says:

I have the Office Starter 2010 on my desktop computer but after the most recent update it appears to be gone and I can no longer open any word/excel documents.  I tried a system restore to just before the update and Office Starter worked again.  However, when windows automatically updated today, I lost it again.

35. jaylord says:

Hey this is totally insane

09/12/2013 My windows 7 automatically update the

MICROSOFT OFFICE 2010 (KB2589275) and then after that all my files icon turns into orange and I cannot open it seriously.. can you fix this as soon as possible

36. a_arb says:

After yesterday's update on microsoft office, I am unable to use MS office anymore. I am always prompted to buy MS office version though it came already pre-installed on my laptop. Can you guys please look into this issue?

37. Richard says:

If Office Starter 2010 not working, check that you haven't got both "Office Starter" and "Office" on your installed programmes. If you have, uninstall the "Office" programme and will find you can access the documents with "Office Starter" as previously.

38. ROB FREEMAN says:

Following updates that were automatically installed, I also cannot open my Excel/word/powerpoint files anymore. What can I do or are you issuing a further update?

39. John says:

Until this week, Office Starter worked fine, accepting emailed documents etc. Now, I can't open emailed docs. – I guess I'm having the same problem as the folks below. Will this be fixed soon as I'm being denied access to some important stuff?

40. Jami says:

You updated my computer, now I can't open any of my excel files.  Today is the day of the month I pay ALL OF MY BILLS DUE AND THEY'RE ALL IN EXCEL.  What the &%$# am I supposed to do about that??  Solution priority please!!!

41. Marni says:

I'm not all tech smart, but my Office Starter 2010 is not working.  Is there going to be a patch to fix this?  I can open this a backdoor way but I shouldn't have to.

42. paul says:

I echo Dawn's sentiments.  All my office files are unavailable to me through simply clicking on the icon.  I can access some fo them through the 'recent' docs.  Another case of Microsoft poor customer service.  Just want our money I guess.

43. MC says:

KB2589275 has caused missing links between word and excel. Shall I uninstall KB2589275? Do you have a fix date?

44. Nicole Thomas says:

I'm having similar issues, can't seem to open any word/powerpoint/excel documents

45. PeterS says:

Since the Office Updates got applied on Sept. 11-13th, my Powerpoint 2007 mostly locks up upon loading a(ny) file. I've tried to reinstall the whole Office, but the Powerpoint was completely functional just until applying the most recent Win Updates, afterwards it again locks up 🙁

46. Chris says:

I went to teach my class this morning after the "security update" and I couldn't open my powerpoints!  I had to use the old overhead transparencies (horrors!).  I have Office 2007 and now I cannot open any of my powerpoints without purchasing Office 2010!  This needs to be fixed before my next class.  Can I just uninstall all those "security updates" until this issue is resolved?

47. Robert P says:

All of a sudden we have lots of customers calling about the Office Starter issue and I figured out how to go around it. The problem this particular customer had was that all .doc files lost their associations with Office Word Starter and you won't find Word Starter anywhere because the actual program is called something else.

Anyway, Right click on a .doc file and 'Open with…'

Browse for the "Client Virtualization Handler" in "C:Program Files (x86)Common Filesmicrosoft sharedVirtualization HandlerCVH.EXE"

Make sure to check the box to always open with this program.

48. Leslie says:

Is there a solution to not being able to open any Office docs since this update??? Our office work is piling up since we can't open anything….

49. Jillwi says:

Having similar issues to those already mentioned with Office not working, and I cannot run my business without it! I've tried downloading a "free 30 day trial" of the program that came with my computer, and it won't let me download it because it thinks Office is still on my computer but by now I've deleted it. Thanks Microsoft, I'm becoming a MAC girl after this fiasco.

50. Linda says:

I also had the office starter on my laptop,but now cannot use it after 12th Sep.  Can someone tell me how to fix this?  I need to access some of my files… thanks if anyone can assist

51. Naz2 says:

I also can't open up my documents(that use word starter or excel starter) by double clicking on the file. I have to open up excel starter or word starter and then open the file from the program.

52. jean says:

I have Windows 7 and office Starter 2010 came with the laptop. The update meant I could not open any documents. I went to Control Panel > Uninstall Programs where I uninstalled the September update to Office 2010 and Office Starter has reverted to what it was before, with the exception that Insert > Picture in Word no longer works and merely installs a blank box. Unfortunately I need to insert pictures for work documents. I'm hoping someone will let us know when we can expect this to be fixed.

53. infrazee says:

When KB2752093 is installed a problem occurs with Save As in Access 2013.

How can the issue be resolved?

54. Teri says:

I am unable to send/receive email through Outlook 2007 (Win 7 OS) since the update a few days ago.  Error message says, "Not implemented".  I'm counting on you to repair this because, after all the install issues this week, I really don't feel like looking for last known good configuration today.

55. audrey says:

I can't open Publisher files from the folder anymore.  It tells me I have to install Publisher.  I can open Publisher and find them that way, but this is frustrating!

56. Nick Moore says:

Security Update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (KB2760420) 32-Bit Edition. How crashed share point for us

57. justin says:

I have 7 Clients that have lost their product keys due to these updates. It keeps occurring and it is getting annoying. Most of them don't have their keys so they are purchasing them AGAIN. Please fix this.

58. Frustrated says:

I can't believe that after all these posts by people having problems with this update, MS still hasn't done anything to fix it!  I keep looking for a new windows update to come along, supposing the fix will be included.  But none ever comes.  Microsoft, are you listening???

59. Devildog00 says:

Hi, I keep getting the following updates failures since september the 11th. KB2760411, KB2597973, KB2825641. Up to this point I have tried everything from fix it, to installing each update manually, cleaning registries but everything keeps failing. Please HEEEEEELPPPPPPPPP!!!!!