Continuing on from Sequencing Office 2010 for App-V, Part 1, Matt and Jason from 43Tc to share their real world experiences with Office 2010 and App-V and provide guidance on sequencing Office for App-V. In part 2 we look at preparing the sequencing workstation.
It is recommended to sequence using the same OS on the sequencer that will be used on the clients. For the purposes of this guide, please sequence on Windows 7 x86.
Prepare the Sequencing Workstation
Note: App-V 4.6 SP1 is REQUIRED for sequencing Office 2010 using the steps in this guide.
- Install the App-V Sequencer
- Have the Office 2010 installation media ready
To ensure the necessary Side-by-Side extensions are captured, add the value VSL to the multi-string value for the following registry key:
- 32-bit Sequencer Operating System HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftSoftGrid4.5SequencerSxSAppExtensions
Install the following components, if required on the sequencing station;
- Windows Search 4.0
- XPS Viewer
Note: The above two components are built-in to Windows 7. Installers for XP or Vista can be found at http://download.microsoft.com.
In Computer ManagementServices, adjust the settings on the following services
- Windows Search set to Manual or Automatic
- Windows Update set to Disabled
- Optional: This would be an appropriate time to make a snapshot of the VM to allow you to quickly return to this point in the event that you make a mistake and need to start again.
Install the Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V
About the Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V and Feature Proxies
Along with providing licensing capabilities, the Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V provides "Feature Proxies" which are designed to facilitate the enhanced integration with the operating system to allow the use of features like:
- Fast search in virtualized Outlook 2010 using Windows Desktop Search
- Ability for virtualized Office 2010 applications to open, edit, and save Office files hosted with Windows SharePoint
- Search indexing support for Office file types
- URL protocol redirection to virtualized Outlook 2010
- Print to virtualized OneNote 2010
Remember: Download the x86 version!
Run Office2010AppVKit-x86.exe to extract the files
- Accept the License Terms and click Continue
- In the Browse for folder window, select Computer, C:, and click the Make New Folder button
- Name the new folder (example: Office2010DK_x86) and click Ok
- At Files extracted successfully, click Ok
- Install The Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V
- Open an elevated command prompt and change directory to the folder to which you extracted the Deployment Kit installer in the step above (example: C:Office2010DK_86)
Now it is time to set up the Deployment Kit to handle Volume License Activation. Perform ONE of the following options (IMPORTANT: Commands are cAsE SeNsItIvE)
If you are using KMS activation, enter the following command:
msiexec /i OffVirt.msi ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi,Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core PROPLUS=1
Note: If you are using Office 2010 Standard, replace PROPLUS=1 in the line above with STANDARD=1
If you are using MAK activation, enter the following command:
msiexec /i OffVirt.msi ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi,Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core PIDKEYS=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX USEROPERATIONS=1
Note: The above command is all one line, but is not actually a valid multiple activation key (surprise!). Enter your organization's own MAK in place of the xxxxx's.
Now that the sequencing workstation is set up, we are ready to sequence Office 2010… in Part 3!