Today Microsoft has released an update bringing Microsoft Office 2010 migration support to User State Migration Tool (USMT) 4.0. USMT 4.0, with the latest update, now supports the following Office migration scenarios:
Office Upgrade Scenarios
OS Migration Scenarios
· Office 2003 => Office 2010
· Office 2007 => Office 2010
· Office 2003 => Office 2007
· Office 2003 => Office 2003
· Office 2007 => Office 2007
· Office 2010 => Office 2010
There are still a few scenarios which are not supported by USMT. The tool can’t migrate settings across architecture platforms for Office, i.e. Office 2003 to Office 2010 64 bit is not supported. Additionally USMT does not support migrating settings to a version of Office that is earlier than the version that is currently installed on the source computer. For example, USMT can’t migrate settings from a 2007 Microsoft Office installation to an Office 2003 installation.
Get the update here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2023591
The KB article details limitations for the Office migrations, other USMT improvements included in this update, and USMT update installation instructions.
You should be aware of these cautions for Office 2010 migrations:
· Not all Word settings will be migrated to a Word 2010 installation
· If Office is launched on the destination PC prior to the migration most of the user settings will not be migrated
· USMT may not be aware of all or your customization, some further customization of USMT might be required to fit your particular scenario
You now have the update required to get your migration started, however don’t forget to allot proper time and resources to fully test your migration scenarios. Now get your Office 2010 migrations started!
Are you looking for more information for Office 2010 deployment? The Springboard Series for Office Pilot & Deploy center provides important information to help you plan your Office 2010 migration.