Why is there a Microsoft Office 2010 Upload Center?

The Microsoft Office 2010 Upload Center enables you to monitor files that you’re uploading to a server. In particular, the Microsoft Office Upload Center uses a feature known as Efficient File Transfer (EFT) to help reduce bandwidth usage between SharePoint 2010 and Office 2010 applications. After a file is fully uploaded to the SharePoint 2010 site, a local copy of the file is kept in the Microsoft Office Upload Center (in the Office Document Cache), where it is broken into smaller units for editing. This breakdown of the file also takes place to the file that is uploaded on the SharePoint site. When you make changes to the local copy of the file, EFT sends only the changes to the SharePoint site. As a result, files open more quickly and you can start using the file before the download is complete.

You can access the Microsoft Office Upload Center by either clicking the Microsoft Office Upload Center icon in the notification area or by opening it from the Start menu (StartMicrosoft OfficeMicrosoft Office 2010Tools Microsoft Office 2010 Upload Center).

Upload Center

The Microsoft Office Upload Center lists all files that have been cached.  Users can monitor the status of files that are in the process of being uploaded. Users can also manage cache settings to determine how long cached files are retained and to delete all cached files, if necessary.

Removing the Microsoft Office Upload Center icon from the desktop

When you install Office 2010, the Microsoft Office Upload Center installs automatically. If you wish, you can remove the icon from  the desktop:

1. In the Taskbar or System Tray, right-click the Office 2010 Upload Center icon.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Under Display Options, clear the check box for Display icon in notification area, and then click OK. The icon will no longer display in the Taskbar or System Tray.

3upload

For more information about how to use the Microsoft Office Upload Center, see Microsoft Office 2010 Upload Center.

1. DarrylMo says:

Hi Em,

Why the Upload Center is there is well explained. Whether or not it can be removed completely is another story. It's a tool of Office, not SharePoint, which explains why removing SharePoint doesn't have the effect you desire. Unfortunately, I'm not a designer, just the technical writing messenger. At least the icon can be removed from the desktop. Sorry more cannot be done at this time.

Cheers,

Darryl

2. Steven Andrews says:

Is there a way to turn this off / on by default at all?

3. DarrylMo says:

Hi Neil,

The Upload Center was designed to make it easier to update and monitor changes to Office 2010 files that you have chosen to upload to a SharePoint 2010 site. As I told Em, I'm not a member of the Office 2010 design team, simply a writer of TechNet articles. And yes, I wholeheartedly understand your frustration at feeling you have less control over the situation. However, you don't have to jump through hoops over this feature, simply don't use it. And if you don't like seeing the icon on your desktop, at least you can remove it.

I hope this helps,

Darryl

I it only allows me to "monitor files that you’re uploading to a server," then it shouldn’t be running at all. I use OneDrive, but I don’t use anything related to SharePoint or remote servers on my home PC.

The question: Why is the upload center constantly working and giving messages (or even errors) if I’m not doing any uploading other than OneDrive syncing?

5. Em says:

You still haven't answered the basic question, why is it there?… the removal of SharePoint should also remove that thing that is useless for a lot of us and it doesn't. File it under a bug of the Office installer.

6. Neil says:

Why on earth wouldn't there be a option to disable this or uninstall it? Simply removing it from the notification area is just a cosmetic change. When did Microsoft decide it was OK to take away our ability to manage what runs on our computers?

Not to shoot the messenger, but these 'features' are the reason people are reluctant to 'upgrade' to new versions of Office or Windows – with each successive release more and more power and control is taken away from the user and replaced with ribbons and pretty icons.

Darryl, as a part of the team, do you, personally, think it is a good idea that this 'feature' (however happy the Office team are with it,) requires jumping through hoops just to remove it? Would really like to know.

n.

7. Marc says:

In response to Darryl's 8 Sep 2011 8:39 AM post:

Well said. Upgrades are a package deal.

In response to Neil's 7 Sep 2011 5:59 PM post:

Use Linux; all the control you need, without most of the ribbons and pretty buttons. Your two birds with one stone.

8. Bob Hyatt says:

To Marc – I use Open Office at home. Not as pretty as Office 2010 but no weird uploader programmes that I don't use installign and staying resident. (And no ribbons either, thank goodness.) The problem is work systems that we're stuck with upgrading and then trying to make work.

9. BUBBA says:

Look at MSConfig – look for MSOSYNC.exe –  this relates to the document caching the Upload Center manages.  Stop it from starting automatically and reboot.  See if Upload Center starts up then.

10. Dave says:

There has to be a service that runs it.  Search deep and hard. Unless they bundled it under system service I suspect (because that's how they work) it's able to be turned off.

11. AJax says:

You can try deleting this Reg Key, which should stop it from loaded.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun]

"OfficeSyncProcess"=""C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSOSYNC.EXE""

12. Tiago says:

Do I need the Office Upload Center even if I have the Skydrive desktop application? Both seems to work when I save a Office file in my Skydrive folder.

Thanks.

13. Andy says:

hey i just wanted to know that is this uploader upload the files or it can even uplod the pics or personal data on the server

14. Scott says:

You can block its startup by unchecking it in msconfig> startup, the MSOSYNC entry,   Also it can be blocked in a registry edit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun

Remove the "OfficeSyncProcess" DWord entry

15. Removal says:

Just use task manager to find MSOU in Processes. Right click on it and click 'Open File Location'. Simply delete the file. Now do the same with the other file beginning MSO.. UAC may ask you to confirm. Do so.

Voila. And another extra bit of software from Microsoft you never asked for has gone.

It probably messes up something in Office, but nothing I've found to concern me yet! All my Office apps run exactly the same as they did before I removed this.

16. Norm says:

I just did this "fix" by renaming the files. (added .stop to the filename) Just in case it causes an issue I can rename them back.

17. John says:

The latest version of windows has a feature called OneDrive. It seems to do similar but not equal things as the upload center. Files that were upload with skydrive succesfully seem to hang in UC. How do the two interact?

18. FSquirt says:

The above article does NOT address why the upload center is there. The Upload Center should have a manual disable/enable switch as it is just useless overhead.

19. Ron says:

OFFICE has been an entirely exasperating experience for me. Surely I have set it up totally wrong. Files come back as jibberish, often as not. Heck, this is my own simple records at home. I knew before I bought, Microsoft Works was all I needed. So now………..
    I avoid microsoft and its products.

20. 1 says:

Not only that Microsoft takes the files from out systems. Totally no clue.

21. Kevin says:

HI,
    I think the real problem is the lack of well though out documentation for the novice user that compartmentalizes and explains what each component does and how it works together. Office has grown to be quite complex and the updates are amazing… but the nomenclature,
    Mis en plas, and M&P has changed to the point of causing alarm in veterans. We became pro's at using the software to the point where it was an extension of ourselves and we no longer had to think how to get the information in. We could just work. (Like it
    is hard to write your thoughts down, when you have to figure out how to write too.) The sad part is that there is an aha moment when it all comes together and clicks. Microsoft Office (365) tends to work IF (BIG IF) you keep up with the latest versions and
    do not try to tailor it out of paranoid concern. I think.

22. Sm says:

Paranoid concern? Kevin, who's kool-aid have you been drinking? We just want Office to maintain the same utility and functionality we've worked years to master. Get a grip. As an enterprise CIO, I asked for a LOT of features from MS, but they deliver what
    they want, how they want. They have successfully delivered on much of the enterprise promise while absolutely trenching the user experience. THAT is why we legacy users are disappointed. The upgrades work, but at an astounding price in time and productivity.
    Sooner or later, it will all come home to roost & some other enterprise productivity suite idea will gain while MS loses. The Office Suite we loved is gone, the king is dead. Long live Office [insert year here]. One day, enough users will lash out and MS will
    have to "completely" reboot the Office suite, just like MSIE. Yes, all things change, and sadly, I just can't find one single real improvement in the last two major Office upgrades. Their SAAS model will NEVER be better that what we already have, but the market
    will dumb down and adjust. And, our local app/suite will fade away. Users really do want less from their computing environment…less thinking, less power, less freedom. …Give users a cloud and they'll line up to stick their heads where the sun really doesn't
    shine.

23. Gaz says:

I'd disagree with DarrylMo. One would not normally ask *generally* why Upload Center exists, but would ask the question meaning why is it running on my machine taking up resources without legitimate reason when I haven't asked for it. The related question
    regarding how it can be stopped would be part of the same thing, although the real question is why someone has the cheek to start it on other folks' machines at all. Some of us, I think the responsible cautious ones, do not go uploading our documents to the
    world, and think activating by default is just plain wrong.

24. fed up. says:

I see it as a security risk. Where is it uploading things to? It should bother everyone to have stuff appear on their computer, doing stuff that they did not initiate and have not control over.

25. victor s lourdes says:

i have already installed the Office365. do i have no need for the former Office 2010?

26. simply me says:

And that's why no one like Microsoft and they are dying.

27. Seenitall says:

Enterprise CIO says it all.

28. pete says:

Another example of poorly documented and understood. We're struggling with Office 2013 and Office 365. Sorry, but a pox on the damn cloud.

Victor: Office 365 and Office 2010 are separate entities. Each has its pluses and minuses. You probably don't need Office 2010 anymore if you do everything using Office 365.

29. David says:

following the latest updates from MS, I get a constant error with "cmigrate.exe", it seems to be trying to turn it self on, or something. It is using a large amount of CPU. After trying a few things, such as reverting back to an earlier disk image, as
    soon as I update the same error occurs. Anyway, by turning off UC the error stops, (though the task manager). until I turn on the pc the next day , then it starts all over again. Just dam irritating that I can't just get rid of the thing permanently.

30. mike says:

If you rename Microsoft Office Upload Center executable file it won't run. In C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice15 rename MSOSYNC.EXE to MSOSYNC.EXE.bak or whatever. That's how I've "solved" the problem. Sometimes it reactivates after an Office update
    (because it makes a new MSOSYNC.EXE file) then you just have to rename it again.

31. Very sad user says:

Windows 7 + OneDrive + MSOUC really can't work together. The syncing of files named docx xlsx can hang up for hours when MSOUC is running.

Test: if you change the unsyncing file name from file.docx to file.whatever, these files are synced in OneDrive in an instant.

Sad question: Why force upon users something that is not working and completely destroys the usability.