An update to the ORK article “Add or remove languages after deploying the 2007 Office system” will be published March 5th. In the meantime, what follows is a preview of the changes. Why the change? Adding a language by modifying an existing Office 2007 installation is no longer recommended – and that is because it doesn’t consistently work. So instead, you’ll want to add languages by treating them as a separate product – which means you edit the language pack’s config.xml file and run the language pack Setup. Also I’ve added a separate section for remove as per user request or um…complaints. That is pretty much the same process as was indicated before. If you added the language pack with the Office Setup you can remove the same way (with Office Setup and config.xml). If you added the language as a separate product, you remove it the same way (with the language pack Setup and config.xml). Specific instructions below! Holler if anything is unclear.
Deploy language packs
If you deployed multiple 2007 Office system release products in your organization and you need to add more language support, you can deploy language packs as separate products. In this case, Setup installs language-specific elements for every product in the 2007 Office system. No matter which products users have installed, users can access the additional language versions.
For this deployment method to work, there must be at least one 2007 Office system product installed on the computer that you are deploying to.
When you deploy language packs separately, you must consider the amount of disk space that is required on users’ computers. For example, the English language pack requires 600 MB for both the language pack and the installation files that are stored in the local installation source. The Japanese language pack requires 1,000 MB.
Deploy language packs
1. Copy all the files and folders in the new language pack from the source media to a location on the network. If you are using a Multilanguage Pack, you can copy just the files and folders for the languages that you want to install. When you are prompted to overwrite Setup files, click No.
You must complete the following steps for each language that you want to install.
2. In the core product folder for the language pack that you are installing, locate the Config.xml file.
For example, if you are installing the Russian language pack, find the Config.xml file in the OMUI.ru-ru folder.
3. Open Config.xml in a text editor, such as Notepad.
4. Find the <Display> element. Uncomment the line by deleting the opening <!– and closing –> tags.
5. Set the value of the Level to “basic” or “none”, CompletionNotice to “yes”, SuppressModal to “yes”, and AcceptEula to “yes”.
The line should look like this: