Consider a scenario where a user browses to a SharePoint 2013 site using Internet Explorer (IE), searches for an Office document and hits the 'Send' option (in order to send the URL via Email).
One of the following occurs:
- IE hangs and nothing ever occurs.
- IE opens a blank tab, hangs and does nothing further.
During this same scenario, the following is also true:
- Other non-IE browsers seem to work fine with the same document URL.
- The URL is at least 512 characters in length.
This is a known limitation involving current versions of Internet Explorer, the mailto: protocol, and URLs that exceed 512 characters.
Some suggestions to avoid this include (choose one of the following).
- Enable Protected Mode for the IE zone that the site URLs are set to. Note that this workaround may cause other limitations.
- Ensure the size of the URL does not exceed 512 characters in length.
- Use a registry setting to configure the mailto protocol for the IE zone that Sharepoint sites are set to. If, for example, the site URL is in the Trusted Sites zone, set the mailto protocol to 2, and so on.
The value for the zones are:
0 Local Machine Zone
1 Local Intranet Zone
2 Trusted sites Zone
3 Internet Zone
4 Restricted Sites Zone