Translate a Full Document using Office 2010 and Microsoft Translator

The Wizard

Tips and Tricks by The Wizard

Translate a Full Document

using Office 2010 and

Microsoft Translator

Hello,

I wish to introduce myself – I am The Wizard. I have much knowledge that I have accumulated through the years. I’ve heard tales of the challenges Global users like you face every day. With a twirl of my wand, I shall show you several options to accomplish your tasks using Office. I’ll teach you tricks so powerful  that you may see your productivity and efficiency magically increase.

The tips and tricks that I shall share with you today have to do with Translating a Full Document into another language.

If you’ve followed the teachings of The Professor, you know about ‘Using The Mini Translator’, which provides on-the-fly translation as you select a word or phrase and provides dictionary definitions of individual words. This is all well and good, but what if you wish to translate a full document in its entirety?  With the combination of Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft Translator, you can easily have an entire document translated into one of many different languages.

Some  words of wisdom.  You may see references to:  Windows Live Translator, Microsoft Translator and Bing Translator.  All these are powered by Microsoft® Translator.  So do not be concerned if you see one term or the other.

Let us begin with Word and translating a full document.

1.       Start your Word 2010 application and either open a document or type some text.

If you want to have Word give you 3 quick paragraphs of text – at the beginning of the Word document – type:  =rand()  and press the Enter key. If you want to control the number of paragraphs you’d like between the parentheses i.e.: =rand(5) and then press the Enter key.

Go ahead, try this special trick on your own… I’ll wait.

2.       Now that you have text in your document, let us proceed to translate the document!

3.       Click on the Review tab, and then the Translate Button in the ribbon.

4.       Click the Translate Document option.

5.       When you click on it the first time, it will bring up the Translation Language Options dialog, (or you can click on the Choose Your Translation Language option to see the below dialog):

6.       Here, you can choose what language you’d like to have your document translated from and into.  Click on the arrow in the From and To lists to choose the respective languages:

7.   Once you’ve chosen the respective languages to translate the document From and To, – click OK to save the selection and close the dialog.

8.       If you had selected Translate Document in step 4 – you will be presented with the following dialog.  (If, in step 5 you had selected Choose Your Translation Language, now go ahead and select Translate Document as documented in step 4).

The following dialog cautions you that the information in the document is about to be sent over the internet in unencrypted HTML format.  This means that there is a possibility that it could be captured by a third party.  Caution should be exercised if you have confidential or sensitive information in the document.

9.       If you elect to send the document for translation – an internet browser window similar to below will appear with your original text on the left and the translated text on the right.

Microsoft Translator is a machine translation engine. Machine translation is not intended as a replacement for a professional translation service and its use should be limited to the interpretation of the general intent of the text.

Take some time to explore around this window.  Notice:

·         As you highlight a sentence on either side (the original or the translated) – like magic it will highlight the matching sentence on the other side!

·         Observe the different options for ‘Views’ in the top right.

Alas, that is enough wisdom for today.  Practice this well, and next time, I shall show you more tips and tricks.

If you have questions, leave a note below and I shall respond.

The Wizard

Oh, I must give credit to one of my apprentices, for assisting me in gathering this information for you.  Sandy Rivas is a Software Development Engineer in Test at Microsoft with the Office Global Experience Platform team.  Sandy is originally from Ohio in the United States – but she and her team work in Redmond, Washington, USA.  It is her team that is responsible for designing, developing and testing this magical feature.

The example companies, organizations, products, domain names, email addresses, logos, people and events depicted herein are fictitious. No association with any real company, organization, product, domain name, e-mail address, logo, person, or event is intended or should be inferred.

Hi Dorian, you may be on the right track, thinking along the lines of your internet connectivity.  Going into the specifics would be outside the scope of this blog, and might involve some details of your security which shouldn't be discussed publicly.

I suggest:

1. Verify you can access other internet websites without any problem.

2. If you're using Office at work, contact your IT representative or help desk.

3. If you're using Office at home, check your browser's proxy settings, your PC's firewall settings, and finally any security or proxy settings on your router/modem.

Hi Brandon, I'm disappointed to hear that you're having difficulty with the feature, and I hope I can help.  Please try the following.  If these steps don't help you, then further assistance will likely involve some personal information – in that case, you should contact customer service by phone or by email.

1. Check if any settings or updates were applied automatically by your browser.

2. Verify that the service is properly “checked” (enabled) on the R&R Settings.

3. Verify that you've selected your desired target language from Translation Preferences.

5. Verify that your service of choice is currently available by going directly to WordLingo or Microsoft Translator from your web browser (in case the site is temporarily unavailable).

Sorry Barbara, it isn't possible.  However you could send the original (untranslated) document to another Office 2010 user, and then he or she could enable the Mini Translator to see both the translated and original text as you describe.

The first step is Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to convert the picture of your document into text.  You can learn how to do that in Office by following the link below, or conduct a quick web search to find several non-Office options for performing OCR.  Once you've scanned your physical document and used an OCR program to get a digital document, you can open that digital document in Word and translate it as described above.

office.microsoft.com/…/about-microsoft-office-document-imaging-HP001077103.aspx

Hi Glen, technology for multilingual solutions varies, and I'm not sure which tikiwine uses.  If you're building a web page and would like to offer some on-demand translation, Microsoft provides a "widget" which you can drop on your webpage.  Your visitors can use the widget to switch the language of the page quickly – it sends your page content to the Microsoft Translator service, then updates the page's text in-place.

Hi Ruby, can you tell me more?  Which web browser do you use?  If you go into Word's Research panel and use the translation there, does it work?

7. Bill says:

how do you scan a document and copy it to the translator program?

8. Dear Wizard,

I scanned a text document and saved it as a JPG (maybe not he right choice).  At home I opened Word and inserted the text document, then saving it as a Word Document.  I tried to use the Word Translate, so I opened the document in Word, selected Translate, picked from French to English and selected Translate entire document. The web browser opened up and there is a red X in a box, but the document is listed as a .TIFF.  It says translation 100% and it says Done, but there is no text in French or in English.  Can you help me?  Am I able to get this translated at all?  If so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

9. Office_GXP says:

Dear User,

It is not uncommon for images to not get displayed. There are a number of reasons for this varying from the web page containing unsupported image types to an Active X control which is blocked by your computer/network. Please go through the various troubleshooting steps listed under “Resolution” in support.microsoft.com. Please let us know if you continue to encounter the issue even after you have tried all the resolutions listed in the link mentioned above.

10. Office_GXP says:

Dear User,

It sounds like you are attempting to translate the JPG image of your text document.  Images in a Word document are not able to be translated. If the document you are attempting to translate contains only a JPG image (of the English Text), then the behavior you are experiencing is correct, as the translator has no actual text to translate.  You must have text in the Word document (not just an image of the text) for the translator to work.  However, if you are attempting to translate a document with text alongside the JPG image (of the English text), and the only thing you see is a red X in a box in the browser, then there could be an issue with the browser. In which case, please refer to the troubleshooting steps listed under “Resolution” at support.microsoft.com.

11. Glen Callanan says:

http://www.tikiwine.com/ the above webpage has a drop down list for different countries that translates each page to the given language. How is this achieved?

I have just purchased Office professional 2010 and adobe CS5.5.

The wizard should be able to answer this…regards and thanks.

12. dorian says:

although i follow all the steps, when the internet  browser page opens up it is completely blank. Is my AVG firewall blocking something?

13. Brandon says:

I have a document that I was able to successfully translate using the 2007 version of Word. I recently updated to the 2010 version of Word and the translation feature no longer works. The internet browser instead opens a blank page. Is there a reason why it would have worked in 2007 and not in 2010? The only variable seems to be upgrading to 2010 (other things such as my network settings have not changed).

14. barbara.haselton@owen.vanderbilt.edu says:

How can I send my translated document to someone else and still have them be able to see the English when they hover over the Japanese?

15. Ruby says:

Dear Wizard,

I followed the steps you stipulated and in fact it is an easy one but at the end, I keep getting the report that the page I am looking foe cannot be found. please what do I do?

16. Jesse says:

I have had the same problem as Ruby.  I get an HTTP error when I try to translate my document.  It seems to be related to the document size as when I try to translate a smaller document, it works.  Can you help with this?

17. Mitchell says:

Hi Wizard,

I am having a similiar problem to Jesse and Ruby. There seems to be a size limit for documents to be translated. I am attempting to translate several documents between 1MB and 30MB and up to 240 pages. On a rough estimate i have been able to translate documents that have 40 pages or less (approx 7 – 11 MB file sizes) but nothing above that. Is there a size limit and if so what is it?

Thanks

18. Eid Khashan says:

it looks good,but i used several programs to translate the document into different languages but not even a single one does correctly as a translator i can't make mistakes. this software does good for the small documents but not for the important document.

19. Björn Axell says:

Hi,

As other in the comments has informed – I*m havning issues with document that has more then 20 pages. Question to the team:

1) Any planes to fix so you can translate a hole document (more then 20-30 pages)

2) When doing the translation, there is no option to save as word document and keep formating. I loose pictures and all the formating:-(

20. GMC says:

Hi,

I have downloaded the program and attempted to install. However, it will not add on. "Microsoft translator was not added because Office 2003 or Office 2007 is not installed on this computer." I have Office 2010.

21. Fortunato Saraiva says:

I am facing dificulties on translating a full document using Office 2010 Profissional. I follow all instructions and when it send the document to Office Translator URL, it is always reported a HTTP 404 error. I do not know what to do. My operating system is the Windows 7 Profissional and antivirus Kaspersky Internet Security 2012. Please I need your assistance.

Saraiva

saraiva.fortunato@gmail.com

22. moonoy says:

does not work! get blank box with square and a red x in the upper left corner,, opening menu and clicking 'show' does not work either!

23. Dorian says:

I purchased Office 2010. Translates only to 3 languages. How to expend the list of languages?

24. Glossaddler says:

I can't extend my languages in Office 2010 (Home/Student Edition) I want to pair Russian and English. Are there additional languages, like on 2007?

25. DMM says:

I followed the steps, the browser opens, but there is no document, just a big page all in purple but no text

26. Bella says:

i want to put a french document into english and have managed to scan in and now have as a word doc.   But there is now review/language button at the top of the bar.

How can I get this translated please?

27. Tom Gardiner says:

How can I save the translated document?

Thanks

28. Abdulla Omar Al-jabri says:

Observing that allow me experimenting for a period of only 15 days before making my decision to buy

29. Dueep Jyot Singh. says:

MS 2007 had something really good, which came in the form of a translation box. You just hovered over a word,And you found its automatic Translation In the language of your choice. After that, you did the editing in that language, because you knew what that particular word meant, and whether it was feminine or masculine.
    I did not see that balloon in MS 2010. Have they done away with it?
    Best wishes,

30. STANLEY CAYTON says:

YOU DID NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION; I NEED OCR-TYPE TO TEXT TRANSLATION.

31. naveed says:

great

32. Hank Chang says:

Limited usage but still useful to translate a document. Nice feature provided by Microsoft office 2010 for document translation. I am really thankful to you for this post.

33. fauzi says:

how to download

34. Nick Cumberbatch says:

I am using Word 20113. I sent a doc to microsoft translation and it was translated in the browser. Now I do not see an option to save the document AFTER it is translated. I tried "Print" to PDF but only the first page is chosen. How can I save the translated
    document from the http://www.microsofttranslator.com page. Thanks

35. Nick Cumberbatch says:

document from the http://www.microsofttranslator.com page. Thanks

36. devin says:

I need to save this document and I am not seeing anywhere that I can do this. Please help

37. Ms. Arlene says:

I successfully translated a Yard Sale Flier (with no images included) from English to Spanish. The problem was printing. The top half of the Flier printed perfect, but the bottom half did not print at all. Why?

38. Ms. Arlene (again) says:

You have not answered my question. I want the whole Flier printed. The print preview does show only the top half of the Flier. The drop down edit menu is useless. Help! Also, I second another reader’s question: How do I save a document AFTER it is translated?
    My first question refers to FLIERS ONLY (not letters or reports etc.) Thanks.

39. Stan F. says:

I created a short document in English. I successfully had it translated to a different language, but when I go to print the translation, it prints only the top third?

40. Bee Happy Translation Services says:

Nice simple way to translate! But we have one problem here, are you sure about the quality of the translation? I think no. If you believe human translation is a lot better, why don’t you let us handle your website/blog localization project (English-Indonesia)?
    check http://beehappytranslationservices.com/

Thanks

41. harold v. says:

you still have not answered the question by many others , HOW CAN I SAVE A TRANSLATED DOCUMENT. When I try to open a saved file, it says "access not available with a code number", implying it is not a legal action………..

42. Korng Kimseoun says:

have translate English to khmer

43. Julius10 says:

Hi

I think there is a Little, but quite important detail you forgot to mension.
    If the document is too large, Microsoft won’t translate it …

Or is there a solusio?n

44. Andrew says:

How should I save that webpage as a document again?

45. Om Parkash says:

Its not actually translating the document text as it is and changed its meaning in its own way. That is not helpful for me to make translation of a document.

46. LDW says:

Once I see the translated Word document is is possible to save it as a new doc? If so, how do I do that.

Thank you kindly.

47. Encrypted Services says:

Hello,

This is a great find, thank you for sharing. I was just wondering if there were services that could encrypt the information so that it would be safer.

Thanks,