Today we released some useful utilities for Mac Outlook 2016.
OutlookSearchRepair (Download Here): This utility will repair search results for Microsoft Outlook.
Why use it: Search results within Outlook show nothing or return older items only such as when you are looking for an email you know you have and might already be looking at it but it doesn't show up in the search result.
How to use:
- Open OutlookSearchRepair utility.
- Follow the instructions and remove any duplicate installations of Outlook if more than one installation is detected. If no duplicates are detected, you can skip to step 3 below. After removing duplicate Outlook installations, a restart is required. Once your system is restarted, the Outlook Search Repair utility may reopen. Quit and relaunch the Outlook Search Repair if it reopens upon restarting.
- Click the “Reindex” button. The Outlook Search Repair Utility will show “Reindexing, please wait…” while it works. This process can take up to an hour or longer depending on the size of your Outlook profile. Please allow this utility to complete. Outlook does not need to be open while the repair occurs. Spotlight search will be slower and might not be complete while the index is repaired. Once the repair is completed, you’ll see: “Done!” “Reindexing has completed!” You can quit Outlook Search Repair Utility once you see that message.
OutlookResetPreferences (Download Here): This utility will reset all Outlook Preferences back to defaults.
Why use it: This utility resets customizations you've made to Outlook from the Outlook menu > Preferences... It also stores settings of the Outlook window size and position. This utility shouldn't be needed often but we made it just in case. The Outlook Preferences file does not contain all the app's preferences and reseting Outlook Preferences will not remove email or account settings.
How to use:
- Open OutlookResetPreferences utility.
- Click the Reset Now! button. This will quit Outlook if it’s open and reset the preferences back to defaults. You can quit Reset Outlook Preferences after resetting.
SetDefaultMailApp (Download Here): This utility allows you to easily make Microsoft Outlook the default mail application.
Why use it: You want Outlook to open a new email whenever you click on a mailto: link in an email or website. Clicking on a mailto: link opens the default email application and Outlook is not the default mail application until you set it.
How to use:
- Open SetDefaultMailApp utility.
- Choose “com.microsoft.outlook” in the Default Mail Application dialog and click the “Make Default” button. Once set, you can quit Default Mail Application.
ResetRecentAddresses (Download Here): This utility allows you to reset recent addresses Outlook stores. This will delete recent addresses at once instead of one at a time by clicking the X next to an address suggestion when addressing an email. To use:
Why use it: Whenever you compose an email and add people on the To:, Cc:, or Bcc: line, Outlook will suggest names as you type characters. The list of names Outlook uses is a combination of contacts, company directory, and recent contacts. Recent contacts appear with an "X" next to each name. You can click the "X" to remove the contact from the Recent Address List. This utility will clean out all recent addresses at one time instead of having to click the "X" next to each name.
How to use:
- Open ResetRecentAddresses utility.
- Click the “Reset Now!” button. You can now quit Reset Outlook Recent Addresses.