Fix for Message Size Issue in Outlook 2010 Beta

Recently, we posted information on the Outlook blog about a bug in the Microsoft Office 2010 Beta that increases the message size of some e-mails messages sent from the Microsoft Outlook 2010 Beta. The Office team has been hard at work building a fix for this issue, which is available immediately.

Download Outlook 2010 Beta fix for 32-bit Office 2010

Download Outlook 2010 Beta fix for 64-bit Office 2010

This fix prevents future messages from consuming unnecessary space, but doesn’t resize existing messages. If you reply or forward an existing message that is affected by this bug, it remains enlarged. To help reduce the impact of large messages on your Inbox and mailbox storage quota, you can also run Conversation Cleanup (new feature in Outlook 2010) on large folders. On the Home tab, in the Delete group, click Clean Up. Also, consider starting new message conversations or threads when possible.

Although Office 2010 is in Beta and is not final, we are both excited and humbled by the fact that more than 2.5 million people have downloaded and used the Beta. We want to make sure you have a great experience with Office 2010. If you are using the Office 2010 Beta, take a moment to download this important fix.

1. Office Team says:

@gkeramidas – This is for Outlook, as available in the Microsoft Office 2010 Beta announced at

Larry Waldman [MSFT]

2. Gkeramidas says:

which beta is this for?

3. dbh says:

Great, Thanks for the fix.

4. Rob says:

I am in the Office 2010 Home & Business Click To Run TAP. When I download the fix and run it, it can’t find my install of Outlook 2010 running inside the App-V sandbox. How can I apply updates to apps inside the App-V sandbox??

5. Phil Dupont says:

Does each beta program download when you start it? The programs seem to take a long time starting up.

6. Andrea says:

hi people

i am using a 2010 beta and i spent some time searching for a View all headers command in Outlook (in order to see the originating ip of an email).

Perhaps I will find it but it’s not in an obvious place. There’s no Properties at right click in the message list.

perhaps a quick action for view headers would be useful

7. Corey Henderson says:

I get “expected version of the product was not found”. Is this the same beta that was released on MSDN?

8. Jason Volpe says:

I get the same message as the previous commenter, which was that the installer couldn’t find any product installed that required the patch.  I think I know why it’s not seeing my Outlook 2010 version but I can’t prove it.  What I think is happening is that I’m running Windows 7 Enterprise x64 but running Office 2010 Professional x86.  I think there’s logic missing from the install validation that assumes that if your OS is x64, then look for Office x64, and vice versa for x86.  Not sure if that’s true or not, but for whatever reason it isn’t finding my install.

9. sam says:

Installed fine on my Windows 7 x64, running Office 2010 x86 Beta as of 13/02/2010 11:30AM +1100. My Outlook version is 14.0.4536.1000.

My Office 2010 download was from, not MSDN if that matters.

10. Andrea says:

i commented above about the View Headers feature.

I found this feature accesible Properties on the new File tab in the ribbon and it’s the same old dialog box since office 97

11. Troy says:

I have the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and wonder why I only received the 32 bit version of Office 10

12. T Lee says:

What does this patch actually do? I am relucant to simply use a patch which is not clear as to the impact.

Also, all too many mails sent from Outlook are sent with both text and (sadly rather bloated) HTML as well as with SMIME signatures. If senders really want to reduce the size of mails then they should start there!

Finally, I just tried this patch and it claims no applicable products on my system – I see I am not alone.

13. sf67 says:

Finally… this has been a big PITA causing constant nagging from IT that my mailbox was getting too big… all due to these 950KB e-mails that should have been 40KB.

14. knoelle8 says:

I shifted to word 2010beta,  have now problem in printing my envelopes as I used the  word 2007. Could you please fix this problem for me . thanks in advance

15. eli says:

Is there any chance us Outlook users will see fixes before the RTM is released for some of the other problems such as fixing the new mail notification problems?

Or, is there a chance that when the RTM is released, us Beta users will get access to updates via Windows Update so that we’ll be able to use the RTM instead of this (still slightly buggy) Beta version?

16. akb says:

outlook 2010 doesn’t open

17. nusyaputera says:

I still can not find email properties for look the email header.

18. Jerry Garver says:

when I try to add someone to my outlook listing and hit save i get notice that one of the permeters is outside.

This is all that is said and it will not save or use this urll at all.

I have tryed everything from manualy trying, haveing it sent from another servcer, but to know avail

19. grant says:

This worked a treat for me. Prior to running the download and using the cleanup function I could not run outlook at all. I had limited space on my C drive and when outlook started it would generate 10 gig of increased size messages in my temp folder bringing the pc to a halt. I would delete them and of course on outlook startup they would come back.

20. Carlos Velez Conty says:

Ive been an outlook fan for years yet need to admit outlook has been a necessary evil… Fro frequent crashes and memory guzzling, challenges have perfectioned my skills until I found google apps.

For those who are planning to buy outlook, drop it all and migrate to google apps.

Much better and search capabilities are superb!!!

21. gdw1130 says:

I have Office 2007 and Office 2010 (Beta)installed. I want to revert back from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2007. CAN ANYONE HELP?