What the Office team will be talking about at CES

Heading into the new year, the Microsoft Office team is motivated more than ever by what we’re hearing about customers’ experiences with Office 2010. Many people think Office is just for the workplace, but millions of people are using Office at home, at school and for their small businesses to get things done. For instance:

• According to the NPD Group, Office Home and Student was the number one selling PC software product — including games! — at retail in the U.S. during the week of Black Friday 2009.
  • Office Home and Student was one of Amazon.com’s top 3 Hot Holiday Bestseller software products in 2009.

Meanwhile the Office 2010 beta is generating record interest and use, surpassing the previous Office 2007 beta download rate. In just seven weeks, more than two million people around the world have downloaded and are using the Office 2010 beta. To get a better appreciation for that number, it’s a rate of more than 40,000 downloads per day. That’s approximately twice the number of people who run the Boston Marathon each year, or the entire population of Olympia, WA, or Annapolis, MD, downloading the Office 2010 beta every day!

How much will Office 2010 cost?

In addition to the great momentum statistics, we are also releasing Office 2010 U.S. retail pricing today. Office 2010 will be offered in four versions, to make it easier to choose a version of Office that’s best for you – Office Home and Business, Office Professional, Office Home and Student, and Office Professional Academic. Here’s a chart that outlines the features and pricing for each version.

Version Boxed Product Product Key Card
Office Home and Student $149 $119
Office Home and Business $279 $199
Office Professional $499 $349
Office Professional Academic $99 N/A

• Office Home and Student boxed product is available in a Family Pack, allowing usage on three PCs in one house
  • Purchase rights for Office Home and Business, Office Professional, and Office Professional Academic boxed product allow for usage on two of your PCs.
  • The Product Key Card is valid for a single installation of the product.

Or click here to download a more detailed guide to each edition.

We’re committed to making Office 2010 the best productivity suite ever, and making it easier for everyone to try, buy and use Office.

Rachel Bondi, General Manager, Microsoft Office

There is only one reason I have not upgraded to Word 2007, and I really hope you bring back the feature that I most need from Word 2003.

I would like to suggest strongly that the developers bring back the “save versions” feature to Word.  As a writer, this is one of the features that is most important to me because I need to save old drafts of what I write.  Often I find that I have changed something and that it might have been better in an older draft, and with saved versions it was easy to find these.

Yes, there is an alternative with shadow copy and automatic daily backups (both of which I use), but these are not good alternatives.  First, with saved versions I have titles of the versions so I know which one to get, whereas I usually can’t remember dates.  Secondly, I often want to save more than one draft in a day, making backup and shadow copies useless because they miss many drafts.

The old alternative of saving multiple copies of files, for each draft, clogs my folders.  I will often save ten or more drafts of articles I write–a real headache to manage myself.

First, could you please let me know if this feature will return?  Second, could someone let me know how to contact the Word 2010 developers to tell them about this important issue?  There are many academics and other writers like myself who depend on this feature, but recent changes to Word seemed aimed only at business people (though I’m guessing many of them would like to save versions as well).

Jeff

Will there be upgrade pricing from Office 2007? If not, then that would be a major marketing blunder.

3. Since InfoPath and SharePoint Workspace (Groove) are not included in any retail SKU, does this mean there is no way to get them now for small and home business customers without a volume license agreement? What happened to the P2P workspace capabilities of Groove? Were they removed in SP Workspace? Also, how can I purchase InfoPath now without VL agreement?

4. XaMaLa says:

If you need this info in FRENCH, go there : http://blogs.technet.com/backstage_2010/archive/2010/01/05/office-2010-premier-prix.aspx

La mĂŞme info en FRANCAIS et plus de 100 autres billets se trouvent sur le blog officiel Office 2010 :

6. anony.muos says:

But what is still not clear is what is Professional Academic? Obviously it’s an academic SKU but does it have activation too? Does it include the same apps as Professional? Any more info on it? Why doesn’t no retail SKU include Visio and InfoPath? InfoPath *WAS* available in Office “Ultimate”. And people have been asking forever to include Visio in *some* SKU.

7. Jeremy Bicha says:

How much will Office 2010 Family Pack cost?

8. sam says:

will visio not be included in the pro version? what about the other applications like groove, infopath, onenote?

9. Florida DBA says:

What, no “Office Azure”??  đź™‚

10. Tech World says:

When is the planned release date for the Middle East?

11. Lou Gagliardi says:

why is it that the Professional Academic costs more then Home and Student? Home and Student comes with Word, Excel and OneNote. THAT’S the one Microsoft should be selling cheap, since it’s designed for the basic home and student use.

THIS is what drives people towards open source, as well as pirating, Microsoft.

12. Alan Taylor says:

Is Office 2010 64 bit?

13. Corey says:

When looking at the Word document (Office2010PricingFS.doc) I noticed that InfoPath and

SharePoint Workspace are not included in any of the packages.  Will these two application need to be purchased separate from Office 2010 Professional or will their be Professional Plus (as that is what the beta is at this moment).

14. Bill_G says:

What about upgrade pricing?

15. Jevon Fark [MSFT] says:

@Jeremy Bicha

Office Home and Student ($149) is the only version of Office 2010 that is available in a Family Pack, allowing usage on 3 PCs in one household.

16. Ivor Davies says:

Where is the pricing for InfoPath 2010 and SharePoint Workspace 2010..?

17. Upgrader says:

HEY! What about upgrade pricing? Office always had upgrade pricing!!! I realize the retail prices have been reduced but this means there is no separate upgrade pricing?

18. jorgusch says:

First, it is good that you reduced the number of packages. However, I see that the student version does no longer contain Outlook….so you got me in with 2007 and now I am out?

This might be okay, if the professional academic pack is not only limited to professors or something like that, but as a student working within the uni, I would be screwed without Outlook. Since 2010 is such a good job as well…

19. jeremy says:

“Most importantly, 9 out of 10 beta users feel that the Office 2010 beta is an improvement over their current productivity suite.”

In other news, 9 out of 10 beta users were able to recognize that the number on their software was higher than the one they were used to.  The remaining user currently did not use a productivity suite.

Thank goodness that Open Office continues to work just fine.

20. Jo says:

With a single product key card, will be still be able to install another copy on my laptop (Office always had that: “You may install another copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.” If not, more than one license prices have gotten expensive.

21. BJorne says:

I have always used Pro SKU since I need Access. Earlier I upgraded from Office 2003 Professional to Office 2007 Professional for $279. I installed one copy on my desktop and other on my laptop as the license permits “one portable device”. Now even if I spend $349, I can get single Pro SKU? Can I install it on my laptop or do I have to shell out $499 (as against $279?) That’s $220 extra just for acquiring 2 Pro copies? Please clarify.

22. DreamSpark says:

ANY chance we might get Academic or *at least* Starter edition on DreamSpark?

23. Adi R says:

I am confused as to why Publisher only offered in big “Pro” versions.

In our home, my middle-school children often use it to create fun greeting cards for friends, or do minor graphic banners.

Since MS took away our beloved Digital Image suite, the only remaining similar product was Publisher. Doesn’t make sense for it to be available in Pro version only!?

24. Bryan says:

I have to say, I’m disappointed that the cards are only good for one license–it’s especially sad in the case of Home & Student, where you essentially asking us to take a 20% discount in exchange for 67% less value. Even in the other cases, it’s a roughly 30% discount for 50% less value. Any one who bothers to do a few seconds worth of math is going to buy the full boxed version, and frankly that’s a waste from an environmental perspective.

That’s one of the things that used to drive me crazy about OneCare too: I could by it electronically direct from Microsoft for $50 for a year, or get a deeply discounted version from Best Buy or Amazon.com for closer to $30 – $20 for a year. It was actually substantially cheaper to buy a new boxed copy each year. I usually think it’s pretty obnoxious to just use the “FAIL!” card, but that’s one case where it’s hard to avoid playing it. I don’t consider myself a fanatical environmentalist, but still I cringe at the idea of buying something in a box that will substantially outlive the usefulness of the product itself. Even though the Win7 boxes are a lot better than the ones from the Vista era, I wish you’d never stopped using cardboard to begin with.

Especially now, when Click-to-Run makes downloaded purchases easier than ever, this is pretty frustrating. Personally, I’d rather have the cards and the boxed copies be identical from a licensing standpoint–even if that meant the prices were the same, or maybe simply discounted more modestly (e.g., 5-10%).

25. Rob says:

Screw this – Google Docs is the suite of the new world order

26. Cori says:

Why do you took Outlook from the normal Home-Version?? What’s with your Win-Phone users? Do you want them to change? Without Outlook they can’t sync their phone with the pc and others. And the Live Mail is bullshit!

The Home&Business is just for 2 PCs, not suitable and to expensive for familys.

Please put Outlook in an payable and licenced for 3PCs box.

27. Stephen Girard says:

That’s not a bad price at all for the Student and Home edition versions of Microsoft Office. I have been using the 2010 beta and have to say that it runs exceptionally well for a beta, and does a fine job with allowing me to work with all versions of Office and all types of different Excel/Word applications. Keep up the good work Microsoft Office development team.

28. Peter VdW says:

Where’s the Mac version?

29. Tony Toews - MS Access MVP says:

Alan

Yes, Office 2010 will come in both 32 bit and 64 bit editions.  This has announced widely months ago.

Tony

30. nseika says:

“Meanwhile the Office 2010 beta is generating record interest and use, surpassing the previous Office 2007 beta download rate.”

That’s mainly because it’s free license.

Things would be really different when paying money is involved.

31. Maryan Pelland says:

Microsoft – follow Adobe’s example and market your consumer grade home products at price points that make them easy to buy. Maybe <$100. Open source is real attractive and very reliable.

mkp

32. Coolbuster.Net says:

When will it be released in Asia? And recommended retail price please.

33. Ali Abedinzadeh says:

with warmest and kindest hello to our Office team

Respectfully

kindy get Ready to release the Microsoft Office 2010 on time  ( date we said on last e-mail)…

Kindest Regards

Ali Abedinzadeh Pishbin

34. dbh says:

The new product key card is a nice idea (less packaging – more profit), however the fact that it is a single OEM license means that for retail customers it is overpriced, see:

The convenience of simply inputting a code into preinstalled trial of Office 2010 on a new PC is great :-), this already existed with Office 2007 at least for the cheapest version of Office 2007, the Home and Student edition.  So it is nice that you can now do this for all 2010 editions.

However whereas the retail boxed versions of Office 2010 will activate a preinstalled trial on up to 3 new computers, the keycard version in comparison is only a single OEM license allowing 1 activation with no transfer rights.  Per activation the keycard is a worse deal.

Most retail customers do not know what OEM software is, so to sell the OEM software through retail channels without explicitly stating what the OEM license is would be a bad idea given Microsoft’s dominant market position.  Something very clear would need to be stated in BOLD on the front of the keycard package such as:

“Keycard key activates Office 2010 on 1 PC preloaded with the Office 2010 Trial software, once activated the key can never be used to activate Office 2010 on any other PC in the future even if the Office 2010 software is removed from the original PC on which Office 2010 was activated”

Even then the Retail VS OEM concept may still be lost on most consumers.  Because quite simply if you buy something at a retail outlet, well you expect it to have a retail license!

Having said that how many users of retail versions of Office 2007 Home and Student actually use all 3 installs?  That would be an interesting fact to know, if the vast majority of retail consumers only use 1-2 installs, and never transfer the license to another PC then trying to sell an OEM keycard version of Office 2010 through traditional retail channels may be at least be a defendable action.

And then the devil is in the small details …if you only sell the keycard versions in retail chains like say Frys or MicroCenter that already sell both OEM and Retail versions of Office thats fine, the problem would start if the cards are on the shelf at Walmart, Target, RadioShack and the like which have never sold OEM software.

My fear is that the keycard could end up being a repeat of the Vista Capable lawsuit scenario.  Microsoft managed to dodge that bullet as the plaintiffs failed to show that consumers paid more and were thus harmed.  In this case it would be very easy to show that consumers had been harmed unless Microsoft treats its consumers who don’t know what they’re buying very, very well.

One suggestion I would make to Microsoft is that when working with their retail partners they tell them to allow a longer in store return policy (say 45-90 days) on the keycards even if activated, so consumers who mistakenly buy the wrong thing can easily take back the keycard and quickly buy a full retail version if that was what they really wanted in the first place.

35. Ron says:

jorgusch said:”However, I see that the student version does no longer contain Outlook….so you got me in with 2007 and now I am out?”

Home and Student Office 2007 does not include Outlook.

36. Bob Hyatt says:

i just got my new gateway computer. and i had a paper due for class and it said that i had to buy home and student 2007. i got really piss off because i bought my computer with hs 2007. and i did not get it. and i dont have enought money to buy hs 2007. so i went over to my girlfriend house to use her apple. i am thinking about to take this computer back to the store and get an apple. the one my girlfriend has comes with everything that i need to do school work. and i dont use internet explorer 8 i use apple safari i like it better. i hope hs 2010 is cheap then hs 2007. and hs means home and student.

37. amy goodwin says:

Am I charged for the trial version of microsoft office 2010 beta and how long does the trial last.

38. Daniel Schweizer sen. says:

Liebe Leute,

bis es soweit ist und ich ALLE SEKTOREN und auch das Persönliche Profil dazu, werde ich mir ganz bestimmt Mühe geben, denn ich suche eine liebe und Treue, wie Weltoffene Frau, die noch weiss- wie ROMANTIK- überhaupt noch Funktioniert?!!

Wie auch immer darüber hinaus, will ich hiermit zum Ausdruck bringen, das es in dieser Kurzen Zeit, die man allg. hat zu Beeinflussen; und das war ein Fehler, den ich innerlich immer noch Teuer am Bezahlen bin èè

Mit freundlichen Grüssen:

Daniel Schweizer sen.(- Geb. 01.01.1966 -)

39. Delf says:

I’m reading a lot of reports via the web that upgrade pricing has been discontinued.   If this is true, I strongly urge Microsoft rethink this strategy, or at least explain why this is the case.

40. John says:

Pricing will be what ever Microsoft wants it to be. They are too big to sway with this simple blog.

What I want to know is. If I install the beta version and decide to use it with active data, will the beta license extend until the retail version is released or will the beta version die before the final release along with my email and other data? I am willing to give the beta version a “FULL ON” test but only if I can continue to the paid version without a lapse in licensing.

41. cheap computer says:

I think That’s not a bad price at all for the Student and Home edition versions of Microsoft Office.but some application are not included in it.Will these application need to be purchased separately.

42. cheap computers says:

is it a 64 bit?

43. thomas says:

OK. Look, I could get the Office Professional 2010. But, Microsoft decided it would cost way over $250. That is way to expensive for me. Although for the Professional Acedamic Version, I do have some Acdademic purposes for it. I believe that Microsoft dosen’t put enough programs in the Home and Student Edition. I need Outlook, Publisher, and Access. In Home and Student I don’t get them. That’s why I don’t want Home and Student.

44. Zadling says:

I was wondering what a Microsoft Office volume license would cost for a business with 50 employees.  Does anyone have any information on this?  Thanks.

45. james says:

So Microsoft want small business PC shops like ours to pre-install a trial version of Office 2010 that can be activated with an OEM (PKC) card purchased at a large discount store?

Where’s the incentive to pre-load our new PCs with the Office 2010 trial?  An extra 30-60 mins per PC, particularly once the service packs start to roll out.

MS want us to spend more time building each PC so they can make more money via our larger competitors?

Our incentive would be to sell the customer the full retail version, which can be installed on 2 PCs (3 with H&S), and transferred to other computers in the future.  Better long-term value for our customers, better revenue for us.

PKC spells the death of OEM sales.  Nice one Microsoft. Flawed logic to the extreme.

46. Cheap Computers says:

Right now I am using Office 2007, I would like to buy this office Family Pack 2010 but when are they going to launch this package.

47. logo design says:

I think MS Office 2009 is enough for me but MS office 2010 is not bad choice for who start to use Office .

48. payday loans alberta says:

You need the Home and Student Edition to get what you want at the best price. Normal price is $150. You can find it on sale from time to time. If you are a student and have a .edu email address you can go to http://www.theultimatesteal.com and get the Ultimate Package for about $60.

49. nikki4 says:

how much is office pro 2010 for 5 users?

50. charles says:

I personally like Zoho. http://www.zoho.com . More free products than Google and they are easier to find.

51. Joe says:

I can't believe there is no upgrade pricing!!!!!!!

52. Tony Firth says:

Thew fact that youve disenfranchised ALL small businesses from using BCM is despicable.  I for one have invested hundreds of hours in BCM.  Its central to my sales and account management effort.  But I dont need 5 licences, only one.  I hope that this stupid decison bites Microsoft in the ass!!

53. Tony Firth says:

You guys suck! Where is bcm 2010 for the small business???? What a cheat!  I wont soend my money with you until its available for the small business.  I'm going to blog this all over the tech net.